Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
by Martin Brinkmann on June 05, 2020 in Firefox

Mozilla plans to make a change to the tab right-click menu in the Firefox web browser that moves options to close multiple tabs to a submenu.

You get a number of options when you right-click on a tab in Firefox; these range from reloading and muting the tab to bookmarking it or closing it. Up until now, options to "close tabs to the right" and "close other tabs" were listed alongside these options.
firefox-old-right-click-context-menu.png

The options to close multiple tabs in Firefox will be moved to the "Close Multiple Tabs" submenu from Firefox 78 onward. Firefox users who use the options need to move the mouse cursor over the new entry before they may select one of the listed options.

Note: The change landed in Nightly and should be considered not final at this point. It is possible that things will be changed further or that changes are reverted.

Mozilla's motivation behind the change is that it noticed that users were activating the options by accident, and that moving the items to the submenu would make it less likely that users were hitting these close actions by accident.
These were moved to a submenu because people were accidentally clicking them when trying to do non-destructive operations.

Read more below:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Foul Language
I don't understand why everyone only offers "Close tabs to the right" but not "Close tabs to the left". Like no one ever had a ton of tabs and they wanted to close them left of the current tab. Especially now that they are moving it into a subfolder...

Last edited by a moderator:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Jesus since when did this forum turn 500% puritan? Can't say a damn thing without getting frigging foul language warnings. What's next, I can't say damn and frigging? FFS

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I love all the browser power users on this forum who point out flaws I’d literally never notice. I’m such a browser minimalist. Seriously though I barely noticed the url bar changes, and didn’t even know you could close multiple tabs without closing the browser. I never have more than 5 open at once. I really like Firefox still.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Jesus since when did this forum turn 500% puritan? Can't say a damn thing without getting frigging foul language warnings. What's next, I can't say damn and frigging? FFS
The guidelines are pretty clearly laid out. Some websites have very few rules outside of don’t be a jerk (giantbomb.com), and some guide civil discourse a little more. There’s no harm in abstaining from cursing. I don’t curse here, but you should hear me when I work in the garage, or on my gaming rig.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.