- Aug 17, 2014
Firefox 94.0's release date is November 2, 2021. The new stable version of the Mozilla Firefox web browser introduces new features, bug fixes, and security fixes.
The new Firefox release marks the end of the Firefox 78 ESR branch, as it won't receive updates anymore. Firefox 91 ESR is the new and only branch that is supported by Mozilla.
- Firefox 78 ESR is no longer support.
- Firefox displays a Colorways prompt on first run, which allows users to pick a different color scheme.
- Site Isolation is now enabled.
- Firefox 94.0 includes security updates.
Firefox 94.0 features and improvements
Firefox displays a "pick your palette" overlay on first start after the upgrade to Firefox 94.0 or the new installation of the browser.
Called Colorways, Firefox users may select one of six seasonal color palettes for the browser or skip the customization by selecting "keep previous theme".
These new palettes can also be selected on the themes customization page of the browser.
There you find all available palettes, more than six, and the option to enable one of the available options in Firefox.
- Load about:addons
- Switch to Themes.
- Scroll down to the Colorways section.
Note that the selection of a colorway will disable the active theme. You can switch back at any time by enabling the theme again.
Windows Background Updates
On Windows, updates are now handled automatically in the background using a background agent. Mozilla mentioned the feature in the Firefox 90 release notes, and it is unclear why it is mentioned again in the Firefox 94 release notes.
The agent runs through a task in the Windows Task Scheduler, called Firefox Background Update. You may delete or disable the task, but it may be better to disable the option in the Firefox preferences.
- Load about: preferences in the Firefox address bar.
- Scroll down to "Allow Firefox to" on the page.
- Uncheck "Use a background service to install updates".
Site Isolation in Firefox StableMozilla started to test Firefox's Site Isolation feature in Firefox 70, and rolled it out in Firefox Nightly in September 2020. Called Project Fission internally, site isolation aims to improve privacy and security significantly by isolation webpages and third-party iframes.
You can check out Mozilla's post here for additional details.
Site Isolation builds upon a new security architecture that extends current protection mechanisms by separating (web) content and loading each site in its own operating system process.
This new security architecture allows Firefox to completely separate code originating from different sites and, in turn, defend against malicious sites trying to access sensitive information from other sites you are visiting.
- Firefox macOS now uses Apple's low power mode for fullscreen video on YouTube and Twitch; this is done to extend battery life.
- The page about:unloads is now available. It can be used to unload tabs manually to free up system resources.
- Firefox no longer warns users that multiple tabs are open when the browser is closed (with one exception).
- Firefox supports Windows 11 Snap Layouts.
Firefox 94.0's release date is November 2, 2021. The new stable version of the Mozilla Firefox web browser introduces new features and fixes bugs.