Firefox Becomes the New Chrome As Users Complain of Huge Memory Usage

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Your comment has no logic, the Phone APP is to connect your Desktop and Phone, it has nothing to do with Edge which has it's own Sync shared between devices.
I wrote it wrong. It's not sync, I'm talking about the send link feature. On Firefox and even on Chrome, I can immediately send link from one device to another without bookmarking it. I just click sent to my other device but on Edge it's not possible to do that without the Your Phone app. It's required to be installed in both device while Microsoft can surely do what Firefox and Chrome is doing. MS is forcing this app on usesr which is an awful practice.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Who still uses Firefox nowadays? Chromium all the way.

Yea thats your opinion it depends on the system you know what i wanna use Brave or Edge i did i tried both of them i didnt feel like to use it i dont know why FF works prefect for my PC i've been a fan of FF since,

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yea thats your opinion it depends on the system you know what i wanna use Brave or Edge i did i tried both of them i didnt feel like to use it i dont know why FF works prefect for my PC i've been a fan of FF since,
I'm trying out Edge now and realized Firefox has much better and stable hardware acceleration which came to me as a huge surprise and also has better image and font rendering which I already knew. Firefox is far more customizable too. Chromium babies are great, I'm enjoying Edge (except the hardware acceleration part) but Firefox is still an excellent browser.

Last edited:

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I'm trying out Edge now and realized Firefox much has better and stable hardware acceleration which came to me as a huge surprise and also has better image and font rendering which I already knew. Firefox is far more customizable too. Chromium babies are great, I'm enjoying Edge (except the hardware acceleration part) but Firefox is still an excellent browser.
Edge is going to have te possibility to install chrome themes soon.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Actually, Internet Explorer was a lot better in the RAM usage dept. when I used it for about 10 minutes like 5 years ago (nah maybe a month). It was fast, too. It simply couldn't get it together, though, something was always breaking or needed resetting. Plus, it was genuinely creepy to me, it was so....yesteryear. I find it grim that IE is still usable in Windows 1909 but legacy Edge is dead and buried (unless you clean-install or delete chromium Edge as your default).

Re: Firefox. Reassuring to know that hundreds of millions use it. (y) To each his/her own.

Reactions: South Park

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Actually, Internet Explorer was a lot better in the RAM usage dept. when I used it for about 10 minutes like 5 years ago (nah maybe a month). It was fast, too. It simply couldn't get it together, though, something was always breaking or needed resetting. Plus, it was genuinely creepy to me, it was so....yesteryear. I find it grim that IE is still usable in Windows 1909 but legacy Edge is dead and buried (unless you clean-install).

Re: Firefox. Reassuring to know that hundreds of millions use it. (y) To each his/her own.
I have to use IE for several online applications for my job. It works, it’s plenty snappy, but it just feels rusty and old. I’ve never paid attention to the resource usage, because I was never even curious about IE. If I could use FF to do my job I would.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Actually, Internet Explorer was a lot better in the RAM usage dept. when I used it for about 10 minutes like 5 years ago (nah maybe a month). It was fast, too. It simply couldn't get it together, though, something was always breaking or needed resetting. Plus, it was genuinely creepy to me, it was so....yesteryear. I find it grim that IE is still usable in Windows 1909 but legacy Edge is dead and buried (unless you clean-install or delete chromium Edge as your default).

I removed Internet explorer completely.

• Wow
Reactions: plat

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
What monster would do this!?:eek::ROFLMAO:
This was everyone's reaction too when a guy posted this on that subreddit. He made it exactly look like IE except the back button if I remember correctly. He was asking for help on how to make the back button bigger as it is in IE. Everyone freaked out 😂 But one guy was able to help to make his Firefox-Explorer dream come true 😁

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This was everyone's reaction too when a guy posted this on that subreddit. He made it exactly look like IE except the back button if I remember correctly. He was asking for help on how to make the back button bigger as it is in IE. Everyone freaked out 😂 But one guy was able to help to make his Firefox-Explorer dream come true 😁
That back button is one of the worst parts! You should report him! But, I’m glad his dreams came true.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
A few years ago, I remember seeing a discussion of how to make Firefox look like IE for the benefit of unskilled computer users who were hesitant to switch. At the time, Firefox was considered much safer because it didn't use Active-X. (There are apparently still Firefox users today who like to make it resemble Netscape Navigator, on purpose! :D )

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Why buy a PC with 16GB RAM and only use 2GB? I don't get this dated discussion about browsers using to much memory. Even my 2011 Dual Core Celeron has 4 GB RAM and has 0.7GB to 1,2 GB idle RAM most of the time. Imagine what modern PC"s with 8 GB or 16 GB, who cares and why?

Reactions: blackice

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
Firefox has always been resource hungry, long time ago only opera was the real alternative, however its web engine had issues on some page, and then came chrome the real hero :D

L

Local Host

Never considered Firefox a good browser, even back when we only had IE, Firefox was unstable and resource hungry (only fanboys can claim otherwise).

It has been getting worse with each rewrite not to mention the poor decisions from Mozilla itself.

There's a reason Chrome got so much traction when it arrived on the market, and wasn't solely due to the fact it was from Google, but was the first and proper alternative to IE (fast and stable, contrary fo Firefox).

• HaHa
Reactions: silversurfer

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.