Firefox blocks the Backspace-key to go back action by default

Stopspying

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
As of Firefox 86 the ability to go back in history by hitting the backspace key has been disabled by default - Firefox 86 will block the Backspace-key to go back action by default - gHacks Tech News

It is possible to configure the browser so as it functions this way again, or to use alternatives like ALT + left arrow key in Windows, which is what I am trying to train my brain needs to be done. But, after many years of using this keyboard shortcut, and never, as far as I recall, having the issues given as the reasons why Mozilla disabled this shortcut, I'm finding it quite frustrating. Hit backspace > wonder why nothing happens!

I'll get there in the end, I hope! Do others find this type of change to a long possible, and frequently used by some, shortcut as frustrating as I do? Or is it just my brain being stuck in a past era?! What I find strange is that I've long used ALT + right arrow key to go forward in history. Teaching old dogs new tricks!!

pablozi

Level 27
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
The article you have linked to, says how to restore Backspace key functionality:

Restore Backspace-key functionality in Firefox​

firefox backspace key navigate back

Firefox users who do use the Backspace-key to navigate back can restore it in desktop versions of Firefox.

1. Load about:config in the Firefox address bar.
  2. Confirm that you will be careful.
  3. Search for browser.backspace_action.
  4. Change the value of the preference to 0.
Doing so restores the classic Backspace-key action to navigate back a page.