Firefox Focus on Android

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Just moved from Windows 940 to Samsung A70. Surprised to see I could download Edge on Android. Some things did not work (autoplay movies), so looked for a different browser and tried all common desktop browsers and Kiwi.

The plesant surprise for me was Firefox focus. Whst a clean privacy focussed browser is that.

I made startpage shortcuts of my bookmarks and put them in a folder. My girlfriend had to laugh that I am only using one tab page and put shortcuts in sliders in stead of swiping to other start pages.

Learned to use most Android things but I still think the us of Windows phones was more consistent than on Android.

Len

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
You can also use Firefox Preview although it is more buggy than Firefox Focus. But once Firefox Preview is out of beta it will be just as private as Focus.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
You can also use Firefox Preview although it is more buggy than Firefox Focus. But once Firefox Preview is out of beta it will be just as private as Focus.
+1
There's also options like adding a shortcut on your home page to direct;y start private mode, open links in private mode. Actually I've shifted from Firefox Focus to Firefox Preview. I'm waiting add-on support after that it's gonna become my main browser too.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Thanks, will look at it when it comes out of beta.

Currently I have one shortcut with Google.nl as shortcut and a map with all my other bookmarks.

Reactions: oldschool

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
+1
There's also options like adding a shortcut on your home page to direct;y start private mode, open links in private mode. Actually I've shifted from Firefox Focus to Firefox Preview. I'm waiting add-on support after that it's gonna become my main browser too.
I made the switch to Preview recently. It's still buggy but I had strange issues with Kiwi lately that made it slow down and not load pages. Since the only extensions I've ever added were anti-tracking protection, I don't need them in Firefox Preview that badly but I hope they will add extensions. Right now Mozilla is not talking about extensions on their Github page... :cautious:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Focus & preview were pretty much disappointment by lacking extension support, not sure about about:config

So im using firefox (Stable?) with few about:Config changes and ublock origin + trafficlight+ cloudflare dns
Currently i cant see anything to beat it and i dont bother installing anything else to my family members( due ads,popups,cookie messages) but i do get that some people have slow/old phones when im usually getting new mid priced (500$) every 2-3 years

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Focus & preview were pretty much disappointment by lacking extension support, not sure about about:config
Fenix Preview has about:config. Try the nightly version: Firefox Preview Nightly for Developers - Apps on Google Play
So im using firefox (Stable?) with few about:Config changes and ublock origin
I use Firefox for Android as well with some extensions. I'm using Fenix Preview in private mode just for some quick searches now and then.

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
i was just reading about firefox fenix but did not know it was in the nightly version was a little skeptical about nightly perhaps will try it out
thank you for the information moonhorse

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I tried Firefox Focus on iOS and didn't like it. Can't remember why. I use Brave on Android. Maybe I'll check out others as mentioned above.

Reactions: DeepWeb

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I tried Firefox Focus on iOS and didn't like it. Can't remember why. I use Brave on Android. Maybe I'll check out others as mentioned above.
Any browser on iOS is based on WebKit so not sure how Firefox Focus performs on it. Focus is not a full browser btw, it doesn't have all the features. It has tracking protection built in and doesn't save any history, browsing data is stored on ram only and clears when you close it. So, it's mostly for special scenario not a replacement of your main browser.
The development of Focus is halt at the moment as the mobile team is fully focused on Fenix.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Firefox Focus 93 for Android​

What’s new:
  1. Complete new interface
  2. Till now, trackers blocked by browser displayed in the Firefox Focus menu, now, similar to desktop, they were shown in a new panel when you tap on the shield icon in the address bar. The panel displays the following infomation
    • Site information in a sub-panel
    • Enhanced Tracking Protection toggle
    • Control trackers and script blocking per site
    • The total number of trackers that were blocked.
  3. As we stated at the outset, Focus doesn’t support bookmarks. Mozilla is trying to tackle that by introducing Shortcuts. If you visit some sites frequently you can add them as shortcuts. Tap on the three-dot icon and select “Add to shortcuts”.
  4. Enhanced Tracking Protection for a site can now be turned off more easily.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.