Status
Not open for further replies.

ttto

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Containers is a new feature of the Firefox web browser that is currently being tested and in active development.

The feature allows you to launch websites and services in containers to separate them from one another in various ways.

You may use the feature to separate work from entertainment sites for instance. Some browsing data is restricted to the container it is generated in. This is the case for cookies for instance, so that you may open the same site in different containers to sign in to different accounts at the same time without having to use different profiles or other means for that.

Since cookies are separated, it reduces the tracking impact of cookies as sites cannot access cookies in different containers anymore.

Mozilla launched Containers back in mid 2016 (in Nightly), and runs a Firefox Test Pilot experiment currently that brings Containers to all versions of Firefox.

Always open in Container in Firefox

always-open-in-container-firefox.png

When Mozilla launched Containers in Firefox Nightly in mid 2016, it revealed plans to improve the functionality of containers over time.

One of the features on that list was an option to launch sites always in specific containers. The feature made a lot of sense, considering that you may want to launch news sites always in news containers, your bank's website in the banking container, or entertainment sites in the entertainment container to separate them always from anything that is not run in the container.

The feature has launched as an update for the Test Pilot Containers add-on for Firefox. If you have not already, you may download Test Pilot and the Containers experiment to get the full functionality.

The current work flow requires that you open a site in a container, and assign it to the container afterwards.

You can launch sites by right-clicking on links for instance to select "Open Link in new Container Tab" to launch it in one of the available containers.

Once the site has been launched in the container, right-click anywhere in the content area, and select the "Always open in this container" option from the context menu.

A prompt is displayed the next time you open the site, be it with a click on a link that points to it, or by typing the address manually in Firefox's address bar.

container-confirm-navigation-firefox.png

o open the site in a container, click on the take me there button. You may check the "remember my decision for this site" option to always open it in the container without the prompt being displayed again to you.

Note: Site means entire domain in this regard. Any page on the domain will be launched in the container if you select that option.

You may remove the assignment at any time by repeating the process. In short: open the site in the container, right-click on the content area, and remove the checkbox from "always open in this container".

Firefox displays a desktop notification each time you add or remove sites to or from containers.

Closing Words
The option to link sites to containers so that they are opened in the linked containers is a welcome addition to the feature. The main reason for that is that it ensures that a site will be opened in a selected container, and not anywhere else.

You get added benefits from this. Phishing sites won't be opened in the same container by default for instance, as they use a different domain than the copied site. You ensure as well that the site's cookies stay in that one container.

SOURCE: Firefox gets "Always open in Container" option - gHacks Tech News

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
did Firefox release the "Chrome like" separate process for each tab thingy?

I remember uninstalling Firefox cause It couldn't really handle when you had millions of heavy tabs open.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I think it's just like sandboxing each tab

Priv8 is an add-on for FF which sandboxes each tab but, unfortunately, looks like not supporting multi-process

Priv8

With this new FF feature I doubt you'll need its Private Browsing mode

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
from ghacks editor comment

Well, it shares some similarities, but it is different. It is not a security feature right now, and not to be confused with Firefox's own sandbox feature which some day hopefully will be as powerful as that of Chrome.

I think of containers as profiles-light. They provide you with some functionality that profiles offer, but are easier to use. They are less powerful as well however, as some data is still shared (extensions for instance).

Honestly I like that feature where the concept of sandbox can be control by user; compare to Chrome's built in.

But anything should consider security wise for the benefit of user (not literally reinventing the wheels) in the future, since we all know that Firefox is concern on privacy and of course security.

D

Deleted member 178

Lol, when i read the title , i thought , finally FF decided to put a real sandbox, guess what? i was wrong, it just a fancy name for tabs grouping and data separation...totally useless...and show again FF's ignorance of security landscape and lack of awareness about malware threats...

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Sandbox in FF is a good addition but at the moment the most important for me is CPU usage.
Just openning one page FF is using much more CPU than chromium browsers.
I can't have that on my old laptop.
When they will fix this problem or introduce their new rendering engine i will use FF again.
I hope this will happen soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.