Firefox now tells Mozilla what your default browser is every day

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
"Firefox 75 comes with a new telemetry agent that sends information about your operating system and your default browser to Firefox every day. This guide will walk you through disabling this "feature" to protect your privacy.
For some time, Firefox has been collecting telemetry data about how you use the browser, such as the number of web pages you visit, safebrowsing information, the number of open tabs and windows, what add-ons are installed, and more.
This telemetry data is kept for 13 months and IP addresses listed in server logs are deleted every 30 days."

Details on how to disable the telemetry are included in the article.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
The reports check box has been there a while, if Firefox want to totally finish themselves off they doing a great job - I'm not sure what other browsers do but the main reason many use FF is for some sort of privacy - Several boxes pertinent to privacy are ticked by default, the wrong way round - Personally adding extra telemetry at a time FF is not doing well is a bit mad?

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
My system information and default browser are my least fears. When you install a new browser it asks you if you want to import browsing data (bookmarks, history and passwords) from other browsers, right? What if browsers can do the same behind your back. Maybe I am exaggerating here but I am haunted with this.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I feel at the end of the day we have little privacy, though the fact that everyone who uses the net is being tracked often far more than members here it does give a sort of anonymity by numbers - If just some net users were tracked that would be different - I'm often gobsmacked when I see others PC's (dozens of tool-bars etc) who are security naive & wonder if they sleep at night? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.