New Update Firefox Shopping Addons - are they safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Best to stick with a modern browser that lists permission requests, because unlike Chrome and Edge, Firefox won't tell you. Stick to Trusted authors or well-reviewed Add-ons.

I use websites to find the best deals without compromising my browsing history to an extension/add-on. HotUKDeals, Groupon, VoucherCodes and MyVoucherCodes etc.

"Unfortunately, Firefox add-ons won’t tell you what permissions they need when you install them, so there’s really no way to tell what type of access they use. This is one more reason to be very careful with what you install, as malicious add-ons can turn your browser into the perfect vector attack for delivering ransomware, financial malware, malvertising or other types of cyber threats."​

Source: How to Master Your App Permissions So You Don’t Get Hacked – The Full Guide - Heimdal Security Blog

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Best to stick with a modern browser that lists permission requests, because unlike Chrome and Edge, Firefox won't tell you. Stick to Trusted authors or well-reviewed Add-ons.

I use websites to find the best deals without compromising my browsing history to an extension/add-on. HotUKDeals, Groupon, VoucherCodes and MyVoucherCodes etc.

"Unfortunately, Firefox add-ons won’t tell you what permissions they need when you install them, so there’s really no way to tell what type of access they use. This is one more reason to be very careful with what you install, as malicious add-ons can turn your browser into the perfect vector attack for delivering ransomware, financial malware, malvertising or other types of cyber threats."​

Source: How to Master Your App Permissions So You Don’t Get Hacked – The Full Guide - Heimdal Security Blog
That info is a real eye opener. I never thought about that but seems logical that they would need permissions.
Great advice.

I use this page from the mozilla website to check plugin status, by the way. does anyone else use this?

Last edited:

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016

Wow thank you , I did not knoe about that .
But maybe SBIE protects me

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I could be wrong, but..
I don't think SBIE can protect your browser session with a malicious add-on installed, because while it may be isolating any attacks directed at your PC, it's still stealing data from your Firefox browser and history.

@Umbra could shed some light.
Correct. If the addon can steal data and transmit them sandboxie will not do anything because you can't restrict internet access to the browser.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
I could be wrong, but..
I don't think SBIE can protect your browser session with a malicious add-on installed, because while it may be isolating any attacks directed at your PC, it's still stealing data from your Firefox browser and history.

@Umbra could shed some light.

Yes you are absolutely right .
I meant if some malicious extension is installed , you can close SBIE delete the sandbox and open again the browser . ... Obviously you have to notice that something bad is installed

Reactions: SpectacularTheDude
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.