Not open for further replies.

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Hello All, Thanks to @MalwareTips Bot, @legitpc, and @Kardo Kristal, trying out SpyShelter trial.

First impression of it is overwhelming, it has so many options to choose that it might take me a while to figure out. I used the recommended settings as per their FAQ.

First issues I noticed is that on Firefox, i am unable to type on my keyboard, whatever i enter on firefox, its just numbers instead of the actual keys i am pressing.
Second issues i had was an online game that caused incompatibilites with it and it is well documented on the games site.

I find the Premium a lot easier to use than the firewall, would Spyshield firewall be compatibly with Eset Smart security suite?

Did a test on the security test tool and since its from SpyShelter, i would guess it would pass all their test :p, I tried it with ZAL and spyshelters test and did not find the results too pleasing for ZAL. I couldn't find ZAL keylogger test, but will dig deeper to find it as I am sure ZAL has one.

Overall, things has taken quite a detour for me in my quest against malware. WIll update once I play with more settings.

This a beginner review or observation so please forgive me if I misinterpret something.

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Part 2:

After playing with SpyShelter for a couple hours, I think I managed to get all the permission of what I want certain apps to do. Also figured out how to get Firefox to allow me to unencrypt my key presses, I had to put Firefox on the exclusion list. That was also the fix for that one online game. I feel that Spyshelter Firewall offers more for that $10 extra, but I am unsure if it will play nice with Eset Smart Security yet. Overall after a few hours, I am liking it, hope I can find a black friday or cyber monday sale on it.

Between ZAL and Spyshelter, its quite a toss up for me. Zal has technically became my replacement for malwarebytes and its a setup and forget program with no user interaction. I have read that both are compatibly with each other but I am concern and can't yet finger what concerns me about running them together.

As for keylog protection, I have only ran Spyshelters which spyshelter passed with flying colors and ZAL failing, Tried with 2.6 and todays 2.7 update. Will have to wait till i can get my hands on the ZAL key logger test.

For now, leaning towards Spyshelter as I feel having more options gives you the feeling that you are in control :p. Since my lifetime license was invalid for ZAL, that made my decision a lot easier. @_CyberGhosT_ found Hitman Pro, I think I just discovered Spyshelter :)

Cheers all!

legitpc

Level 2
Verified
Aug 27, 2015
Are you running anything else that encrypts keystrokes, like ZAM or Bitdefender Free? You may need to disable or uninstall them.

Under Keystroke Encryption > Advanced try to set it to Better Compatibility mode.

For a quick fix, you can disable keystroke encryption.

Also SpyShelter support will give full support to license holders and use feedback to improve product.

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I have set it to better compatibility mode and it still encrypts my keystrokes on Firefox, I have tried both disabling and uninstalling ZAL. My only fix was setting Firefox to exclusion. I am a bit concern as I use the web browser a lot now with my recent addiction to MalwareTips. Deal breaker if firefox is not protected while in the exclusion list.

I just shot off an email to spyshelter, hopefully they would reply to a non license holder.

Reactions: frogboy

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Update and Final Words on Spyshelter,

Spyshelter emailed me back and walked me thru how to fix the issue with Firefox, I'm back at Better Compatibility Mode and Firefox off exclusion list. BDO has a known issue with their game engine, therefore it will remain in the exclusion list.

After playing it for about 1 week, this will become my new antikeylogger of choice. It offers a lot of customization and restriction of each app which I love and that sold me along with the keylogger test which Zal didn't do too good and I am unable to find ZAL logger test. Testd both products with AKLT, and free keylogger. Both did good, Spyshelter scored higher and I feel did a better even if its marginal. The only dislike I have with Spyshelter is the lack of a scan option. With ZAL uninstalled, Will replace ZAL with Malwarebytes for ondemand scans. I will miss ZAL's quick scan, real time protection, and online signatures.

I am able to get Spyshelter Firewall to work nicely with Eset Smart Security and the prompts to config each app access does not bother me at all, in fact I enjoy the fact that it is allowing me to choose what each app can do and what to allow. I have messed up countless times thru trial and error, once I get that figured out, the prompt gets less and less. Its not truly user friendly and I find that challenging and fun.

Zal and Spyshelter are both great products, I just love being in control and learning thru mistakes with Spyshelter.

SpS is king of antiloggers. People have been disappointed with its ransomware protection, although otherwise, it provides a lot of system protection. So take it for what it is.

There is no ransomware protections other than blocking execution and user-defined protected folders. If the user allows ransomware to execute, then SpyShelter will allow everything to be encrypted except what is placed inside protected folders.

The user has to know what they are doing.

ant_gamal

Level 5
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
Update and Final Words on Spyshelter,

Spyshelter emailed me back and walked me thru how to fix the issue with Firefox, I'm back at Better Compatibility Mode and Firefox off exclusion list. BDO has a known issue with their game engine, therefore it will remain in the exclusion list.

After playing it for about 1 week, this will become my new antikeylogger of choice. It offers a lot of customization and restriction of each app which I love and that sold me along with the keylogger test which Zal didn't do too good and I am unable to find ZAL logger test. Testd both products with AKLT, and free keylogger. Both did good, Spyshelter scored higher and I feel did a better even if its marginal. The only dislike I have with Spyshelter is the lack of a scan option. With ZAL uninstalled, Will replace ZAL with Malwarebytes for ondemand scans. I will miss ZAL's quick scan, real time protection, and online signatures.

I am able to get Spyshelter Firewall to work nicely with Eset Smart Security and the prompts to config each app access does not bother me at all, in fact I enjoy the fact that it is allowing me to choose what each app can do and what to allow. I have messed up countless times thru trial and error, once I get that figured out, the prompt gets less and less. Its not truly user friendly and I find that challenging and fun.

Zal and Spyshelter are both great products, I just love being in control and learning thru mistakes with Spyshelter.

I want to ask you

Can I run eset smart security and spyshelter firwall togather without disable one of firewall
Because I have spyshelter firewall with eset antivirus but I need to upgrade it with eset internet security or smart security for my new license which expire soon

Reactions: Svoll

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Yes you can, It will take a bit of trial and error and manual tweaking. I find it a lot easier to put Eset firewall on Interactive Mode and adjust the popups SpyShelter gives you regarding the hooks and internet access.

For whats it worth, I would listen to the advices of @Wave @MalwareBlockerYT and @Jeff_T - Testing Group given on your other post. Its an extra layer of protection but it can also cause a lot of headaches if you don't take the time to set up each individual to work between Spyshelter and Eset. Eset firewall alone is good enough, Spyshelter has great HIPS and I find the combo of them are great along with a ondemand scanner like Malwarebytes or ZAM. Good Luck! :)

Aluno

Level 1
Verified
Aug 15, 2016
Yes You can.
I am user of SSF and eset and it is a great combo.
I recommend you to put eset on auto mode becouse SpyShelter gives you regarding the hooks and internet access.

Reactions: ant_gamal and Svoll

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
What about Emsisot Internet Security?

May i use it with Spy Shelter Firewall, disabling EIS firewall?

Thanks.

I really don't know why you need to disable certain modules on a security product if you can use AV edition + Spyshelter Firewall.

The firewall module of Emsisoft is great and not so complicated to configure it.

What about Emsisot Internet Security?

May i use it with Spy Shelter Firewall, disabling EIS firewall?

Thanks.

Why would you do that ? Emsisoft's firewall is one of the very best.

Combining SpyShelter's HIPS with Emsisoft's behavior blocker (which is essentially a HIPS) doesn't make any sense either.

SpyShelter Firewall is designed to be a standalone product.

I'm not recommending one product over the other - as both are fine products - but users always seem to want to combine products that should not be used together.

If you're looking for anti-logging with Emsisoft, then your best choice is KeyScrambler. The two will work very well as a combo.

Last edited by a moderator:

legitpc

Level 2
Verified
Aug 27, 2015
as far as I know, SpS "firewall" is there to enhance your regular firewall, not replace it.

I use it as a total replacement with windows firewall off, it blocks the apps I tell it to block and they don't access the internet. Why do you say it is not meant to replace it?

Reactions: Svoll

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I use it as a total replacement with windows firewall off, it blocks the apps I tell it to block and they don't access the internet. Why do you say it is not meant to replace it?
I must admit that I don't understand SpS firewall well enough. Tell me, does it stealth/block your ports from incoming connections?

Last edited:

legitpc

Level 2
Verified
Aug 27, 2015
I must admit that I don't understand SpS firewall well enough. Tell me, does it stealth/block your ports from incoming connections?

I don't see anywhere you can configure rules down to the ports used, it pretty much requests and blocks connection access for any .exe, .dll, etc limited to outbound/inbound/dns options. That's where I really miss Outpost firewall :( RIP.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you could test spyshelter firewall w/o windows firewall, using one of those online firewall tests that checks for open ports, and see how well it performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.