Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Recently after re-installing Windows 8.1 on my older laptop, I encountered an issue where Windows Defender would notify me that it was out of date, despite having updated several times.

At first, I thought it may have an incorrect configuration within the BIOS, but after a quick check, I found the BIOS settings were correct.

I immediately loaded back into Windows 8.1 and began to investigate the possible cause, it couldn't have been more obvious. (duh!).

Fix for Windows Defender (Potentially Unprotected) after a Virus Definition update (Out of Date).

Note: If you are running third-party Firewall with Proactive (ie. HIPS or Behaviour Blocker) protection, consider disabling them during the guide as they may interfere.

Figure 1: Windows Defender GUI with amber PC status, Virus and spyware definitions are out of date.
wd-1.png

Figure 2: Definitions last updated, doesn't match the current date or time.
wd-3.png

Figure 3: Adjust date/time. Right-click the date or time from the System Tray and click to Adjust date/time.
wd-4.png

Figure 4: Date and Time. Click on Internet Time tab and click on Change Settings (allow UAC prompt), click on Update Now in the Internet Time Settings.
wd-6.png

Figure 5: Internet Time Settings. If an error occurs, change the Server from the drop down list.
wd-7-error.png

Figure 6: Server: time.nist.gov. Click on Update now. If no error, then it's successfully synchronised.
wd-8-error-fix.png

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Figure 7: Disabling WD. Open Windows Defender, head to Settings and down to Administrator. Un-check 'Turn on this application' as illustrated. Once Saved changes are applied, a window will appear and Close the WD window.
wd-9.png

Figure 8: Locating definition files. Go to this address in File Explorer:
Code:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates
If you encounter this message, click on Continue.
upload_2014-5-15_20-54-39.png

Figure 9: Deleting definition files. Highlight the two folders (names may differ) and click on Delete. Allow any UAC prompt to Continue deletion.
wd-10.png

Figure 10: Enabling WD. From the Action Center via System Tray (or Control Panel), we can now 'Turn on virus/spyware protection'. This will re-enable Windows Defender again for use.
wd-11.png

Figure 11: Windows Defender with green PC status.
wd-12.png

Figure 12: Run the Update.
wd-13.png

Figure 13: Updates have been applied and Up to Date.
wd-14.png

Hope you found this step-by-step guide helpful and informative as a manual solution.

Enjoy! :cool: