Guide | How To Fix - Windows Defender 'Out of Date' after running a Defintion Update - Windows 8.1

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Recently after re-installing Windows 8.1 on my older laptop, I encountered an issue where Windows Defender would notify me that it was out of date, despite having updated several times.

At first, I thought it may have an incorrect configuration within the BIOS, but after a quick check, I found the BIOS settings were correct.

I immediately loaded back into Windows 8.1 and began to investigate the possible cause, it couldn't have been more obvious. (duh!).

Fix for Windows Defender (Potentially Unprotected) after a Virus Definition update (Out of Date).

Note: If you are running third-party Firewall with Proactive (ie. HIPS or Behaviour Blocker) protection, consider disabling them during the guide as they may interfere.

Figure 1: Windows Defender GUI with amber PC status, Virus and spyware definitions are out of date.
wd-1.png

Figure 2: Definitions last updated, doesn't match the current date or time.
wd-3.png

Figure 3: Adjust date/time. Right-click the date or time from the System Tray and click to Adjust date/time.
wd-4.png

Figure 4: Date and Time. Click on Internet Time tab and click on Change Settings (allow UAC prompt), click on Update Now in the Internet Time Settings.
wd-6.png

Figure 5: Internet Time Settings. If an error occurs, change the Server from the drop down list.
wd-7-error.png

Figure 6: Server: time.nist.gov. Click on Update now. If no error, then it's successfully synchronised.
wd-8-error-fix.png

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Figure 7: Disabling WD. Open Windows Defender, head to Settings and down to Administrator. Un-check 'Turn on this application' as illustrated. Once Saved changes are applied, a window will appear and Close the WD window.
wd-9.png

Figure 8: Locating definition files. Go to this address in File Explorer:
Code:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates
If you encounter this message, click on Continue.
upload_2014-5-15_20-54-39.png

Figure 9: Deleting definition files. Highlight the two folders (names may differ) and click on Delete. Allow any UAC prompt to Continue deletion.
wd-10.png

Figure 10: Enabling WD. From the Action Center via System Tray (or Control Panel), we can now 'Turn on virus/spyware protection'. This will re-enable Windows Defender again for use.
wd-11.png

Figure 11: Windows Defender with green PC status.
wd-12.png

Figure 12: Run the Update.
wd-13.png

Figure 13: Updates have been applied and Up to Date.
wd-14.png

Hope you found this step-by-step guide helpful and informative as a manual solution.

Enjoy! :cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.