Fixing your MBR after a PC infection

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
This fake system check malware comes bundled along with a MBR bootkit many a times...u can use FIXTDSS tool from symantec to remove it as the other tools like TDSSKiller and ASWMBR wont run in many cases

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: smart HDD Taskbar Blank

malwarekiller said:
This fake system check malware comes bundled along with a MBR bootkit many a times...u can use FIXTDSS tool from symantec to remove it as the other tools like TDSSKiller and ASWMBR wont run in many cases
Indeed, however HitmanPro will detect and fix this.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
RE: smart HDD Taskbar Blank

I find hitman pro can seriously screw up a PC...sorry people! i am kinda unsure about the rules of this board am i allowed to post removal advices??

I am not qualified but have a lot of knowledge.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
CCE (Comodo Cleaning Essentials) have also the ability to detect and fix MBR but its strongly advice to use with precautionary measures.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Yes CCE should work fine. In case of rootkits i strongly suggest gmer. For advanced users only use gmer or dont use it or use with caution.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
the best thing in fixing a MBR is a recovey console and thats a ultimate step that should be done when all tools fail...

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Look also on MBR check tools topic here: : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-MBR-check-tools

Thank you!:D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
HitMan Pro has always let me know if something is seriously wrong. Even if it cannot remove or fix the problem, it is extremely quick about informing me of the situation. It is the first thing I run when I think that I could be infected.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I am trying my luck on all Hitman Pro giveaways. I have heard it to be a good piece of software. Anyway in case of a grave infection I have a trial install of Hitman Pro ready.

Is there any limitation in detecting and removing threats imposed by the free version?

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
malbky said:
Is there any limitation in detecting and removing threats imposed by the free version?
After the trial has started, you can use it for free for 30 days to remove infections. In my opinion, if you need to use HMP to remove an infection, it means your prevention strategy is not working.

If what you are doing to prevent getting infected works for you, you should never have to activate HMP or use any other scanner to remove an infection. I believe that is 100% truth.

On my case, I know that SBIE works because I have never had to remove any infection since the first day that I started using SBIE. None. That means, to me, that Sandboxie works IF its used as its supposed to be used even if you are not a "I know everything about computers guy". I am not one of those guys and I will never get infected again, only because my personal prevention strategy works for me.

Bo

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well HMP is applicable as a scanner and analyze the file to remove by other tools since the removal feature was for paid and you don't want to waste a trial key.

Actually UVK (Universal Virus Killer) can remove the threats that was found by HMP even the trial key was expired.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.