For people that actually know what they're doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Exorcizm

Thread author
Hey guys, so i've got my Corsair H100 today, fully replaced thank **** from umart now! haha, so much grief.

Anywho, i'm at 4GHz, 167blck, 1.35v on cpu core voltage, 13xx mhz on ram.
i ran the standard windows experience index and when it ran the cpu stress test, my cpu only heated up to 65 degrees, idle about 47ish -50
(using basic stress test because gaming is about the same stress, and thats the highest i use my pc for really)

Anyway, i want to hit as high as i can go with it, and i wanted to make a thread for people to help me :)

I have an

Asus Rampage III Extreme X58 Motherboard
i7 960
and 12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 RAM currently RMA at umart... -.-

so atm i have 4GB Ripjaws 1600MHz ram :)

Let's see how far we can SAFELY push my CPU ^_^

I would like people who somewhat have an idea what they're doing :)

I won't be afraid to point out people i know have no idea what they are doing :p haha

(I have medium/sort of high skills in ocing, but im sure it could be improved with forum help, which is why im asking for it!)

I await quick replies!!

Thankyou!

[ I WILL KEEP EVERYONE POSTED ON THIS THREAD OF THE ACHEIVEMENTS SO FAR AS WE GO)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The person that would be great with this is Valentin N. I have no idea what to do with hardware :p all I know is how to plug it in and that is it.

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
McLovin said:
The person that would be great with this is Valentin N. I have no idea what to do with hardware :p all I know is how to plug it in and that is it.

Thanks, refer him to this thread by PM or something for me will you? :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Exorcizm said:
McLovin said:

Will let him know. ;)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
McLovin said:
Exorcizm said:
McLovin said:

Will let him know. ;)

Thanks for the PM. I wanted to answer so that you and Exor know that I have seen the pm and looking at the topic :)

if you really want stress your cpu use Prime95 and AIDA64 for an hour. I think you almost hitting the limit of the cpu's heat; I think the cpu's max temp is 75 if not lower.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I made some research and your cpu reaches almost the max temp (67,9C). So I would stay with 4GHz. 4GHz is quite good oc since it's 45nm manufactured cpu.

What you could do is to increase the Voltage to 1.375V (the max that would be and with intel's recommended interval). This will allow you to oc the cpu even more (increase the multiplier.). Don't forget that you cant oc how much you want since the motherboard also has a limit, so you need to see what Asus says since I haven't checked it. Can you overclock the northbridge and the southbridge?

The most important thing is that the case has good airflow.

here is a Guide. Skip what you know :)

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
So, i'm following that guide, we'll see how i go with 4GHz, my previous 4GHz where i just chucked in some numbers BSOD'd on me, ill keep you all posted, and btw, my cooler cools really well with more voltage and higher temps, keep that in mind :) i've had people hit 4.4GHz with my chip and they were hitting close to 80 degrees

i think 75 degrees would be fair, seeing as you can always go a bit higher than intels spec safe spec :) and max voltage for my cpu: 1.45 is acceptable around forums.

Will keep you posted on how my cpu goes

(i dont like running prime95 or any of those programs, 1 hour of running them is like 1 month of using your computer, not sure if you knew that)

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
*oh and i have an 800D case, the cooling is fine ^_^

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Exorcizm said:
(i dont like running prime95 or any of those programs, 1 hour of running them is like 1 month of using your computer, not sure if you knew that)

But you're fine with overclocking your CPU? :huh:

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Exorcizm said:
So, i'm following that guide, we'll see how i go with 4GHz, my previous 4GHz where i just chucked in some numbers BSOD'd on me, ill keep you all posted, and btw, my cooler cools really well with more voltage and higher temps, keep that in mind :) i've had people hit 4.4GHz with my chip and they were hitting close to 80 degrees

i think 75 degrees would be fair, seeing as you can always go a bit higher than intels spec safe spec :) and max voltage for my cpu: 1.45 is acceptable around forums.

if you want your cpu to live longer keep it within intel's recommendation (temp and voltage range). I personally think 4GHz is more than enough. There is a reason why intel have their recommendation.

Prime95 and AIDA64 are the best way to the if the computer is stable enough to run at full power. I grid and fold as long as I am front of the computer and that's similar if I would run prime95/AIDA64 and 3dmark at the same time.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Exorcizm said:

That is the whole point, and you are suppose to run them over night or more to make sure the machine is properly stable. CPU's can run at full load for years with no negative effect.

All you can do is trial and error. All CPU's are different even ones of the same spec. You might be lucky and get a higher binned chip or you could get one that will barely over clock over the stock frequencies.

All you got to do is bump up the clock until the CPU is unstable then increase the voltage then rinse and repeat. There is not much else to it really.

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
Thanks MetalShaun, i already know that :p haha

Anyway, i've done some googling and my CPU is at 4.01GHz stable atm, it locked up and BSOD'd the first time, and then i adjusted my multiplier to 21 and 200 on the base clock, and its running well now, temperatures on LinX are at 65ish avg, 70 degrees MAX, vcore on 1.38, and i ran LinX for 13 minutes, getting 5/6 continious passes, LinX is suppose to be able to find errors within the first 7/8 minutes that Prime95 finds within hours, LinX is my fave stress test program.

I reckon i could push it further, but i actually think i'm happy with 4GHz now, it's plenty fast, and rock solid stable so far, been gaming all day (minecraft, MW3, bf3, 1080p movies, LinX, Limbo) and my ambient temperature was pretty hot (30+) and then i turned on my aircon

So further days ahead testing will still be required, so we shall see, (i was running Call Of Duty before and my CPU was barely being touched at all, and was at 50 Degrees MAXIMUM, i hadn't tested BF3 temps, but i'm sure it would get better use out of that.

I'll keep you guys posted.
I might try lower my Vcore later for cooler temps.

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
I'm actually annoyed i got little to no help at all, i'm just sticking with 4GHz for now.

Thanks.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Exorcizm said:
I'm actually annoyed i got little to no help at all, i'm just sticking with 4GHz for now.

Thanks.

Like I said I could not help you in that department :p

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
McLovin said:
Exorcizm said:

Thanks.

I understand, but you still referenced someone to me :) Valentin was good :)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Exorcizm said:
McLovin said:
Exorcizm said:

Thanks.

I understand, but you still referenced someone to me :) Valentin was good :)

Thanks, I am always glad when I can help even if I haven't overclocked myself :) Since I like to save energy I would try to put the voltage as low as possible and try to have same GHz.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
We can't help you, you know enough already. Like I said its just trial an error, unless we have access to your system there isn't much we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.