Former NSA Techincal Director Alleges NSA Gathered Data is Used Unconstitutionally

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Following up on this post about Bill Binney with a video of the former NSA Technical Director speaking about his perceptions of and about his work to expose the corruption occurring in the handling of NSA gathered data:

Traffic Shaping, A Technique that NSA uses to spy on Americans

The linked video below was posted in August 2017 and provides a great deal of insight into the methods used by the NSA to gather data, and Binney explains how legal authorities in the United States illegally reverse engineer evidence of criminal activity after the fact to hide the use of the NSA data used to spur many investigations and further then used to obtain warrants. Binney explores the depths of the NSA and provides a great number of facts based on his experiences within the NSA and also based on his observations of the organization and its activities since his departure.

As Binney explains, "This is like a secret democracy that is not a real democracy. You know, Von Goethe said it pretty well. He said that 'Noone is more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.'" I recommend watching the entire video, which was an easy for me to watch personally:

-"The NSA hacks them, and the CIA whacks them."

In my opinion, the current two agency system is a breeding ground for corruption and competitive one-upmanships and jealousies. They will destroy each other if the current security structure is kept in place. I really believe the CIA should be reformed to operate independently from what appears to me to be a rogue data gathering operation...or at least on the face of things.

United States security needs to be reformalized for a certainty as far as I am concerned. I would most prefer to see a single intelligence organization (CIA) which operates and passes information within the United States government within carefully prescribed parameters and with the full knowledge and oversight of Congress, the President, and of the Attorney General. Also, the gathering of data should occur only within strictly enforced parameters. Data should be gathered passively and analysis should occur within an isolated computer environment, isolated from inspection safely within the data analysis computer for the purpose of scenario processing and then for the issuing of associated automated and unsolicited security alerts, warnings, and reports. The focus on individuals should be the response to humanly gathered intelligence only.

The system which automatically and actively gathers data within the purpose of finding individuals to suspect is a danger in my opinion. It has led to two agency corruption where the rights of human beings are being trampled. Warrants are now something to beg, borrow, or steal for, rather than something for which justification must be presented.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Quite honestly, the FBI, CIA and NSA need to be completely reformed, and potentially, abolished.

American's are well protected by the Constitution, as it renders literally all of the gathered intelligence inadmissible under any condition. However that's not to say it's not abused (It is). This is why they abuse the protections by for example utilizing ancillary sources of information. For example if they want to spy on Trump they can't do it directly and no judge would sign off on it. So they fabricate information to spy on someone involved with Trump and then collect ancillary information on the real target. It's quite criminal really, since they are often doing this without any evidence of wrong doing.

The CIA is too militarized now and has too much power. They clearly operate on US Soil, often utilizing FBI agents with dual status as CIA agents to front their operations, violating US Law. Generally speaking, 'most' US Citizens are fairly well protected unless you disrupt things too much and they Gary Webb or Michael Hasting's you out of their way. The CIA is clearly quite involved in the US as a covert operations organization including deep involvement in politics and honeypotting of politicians.

FBI is extremely corrupt, and largely in the business of fabricating crime, not stopping crime. They've made entrapment an art form at the FBI. Most of their resources are devoted to 'creating' criminals and terrorists under the justification they are removing people that 'could' be criminals or terrorists, but in most cases this is unprovable and amounts to a sort of pre-crime operation.

It's all so messy and broken now that reformation or disbanding might be the only thing left for the USA. The intelligence state is basically an entire un-elected branch of the US Govt. and has grown so vast it's like a giant octopus covering the USA (and in many cases, the world)

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'm interested by your comments, ForgottenSeer 58943, but I need to see detailed data from sources I trust before I can fully embrace them. There has been for decades so much noxious false gossip about the CIA. The most vilified person in the CIA in our lifetime probably was the guy who directed Enhanced Interrogation of 3 stubborn al-Qaida terrorists. I have heard this guy's account at length on TV, especially C-SPAN--iI, and yes, I am very favorably impressed with him.

There is so much said about the CIA by ignorant America-hating Hollywood script writers, Kennedy conspiracy theorists who won't accept the plain fact that Kennedy was in a struggle with Castro and was killed by a doctrinaire Castro-loving Communist, and unreliable types of the Alex Jones ilk. The CIA mostly collects information for the consumption of the President and his top advisers. It has done good things by fighting against the Islamic terror networks and against the Communists in earlier times when tasked to do so by the Presidents. The vulgar Hollywood notion that the CIA is populated by "cowboy" types who go around assassinating Americans is appalling nonsense.

You may recall before 9-11 the CIA and FBI weren't even speaking to each other. I have never heard of dual CIA/FBI agents. If that is going on, it would be a big scandal if it came to be reported publicly.

Although it s not in the category of severe threats to freedom or privacy, the CIA engaged in a severe stepping out of its boundaries when it issued a fraudulent, dishonest public report in 2007 claiming Iran had abandoned its nuclear program, and this report was done for the sole purpose of preventing George Bush from launching air strikes against the Iranian nuclear sites. The CIA is not supposed to be in the policymaking business. Of course, as you may be aware, the Obama administration quietly ignored the CIA report as it pursued its nuclear deal with Iran.

It's the FBI that I'm really worried about. Clearly the Director who was sacked in 2017 was very political and very corrupt. And we know a lot more about his predecessor than we knew while he was at the FBI because of the big role he is playing now, in which he strikes me as likewise very political, very corrupt, and rather ruthless. On top of that, the guy in charge of the FBI now seems to completely lack interest in cleaning up the mess those two men made and to want only to protect his agency in a knee-jerk fashion. I abhorred what the FBI did to Martha Stewart: question her, hear her say she's innocent, then charge with a crime for saying to the FBI what every defendant says to a judge at the beginning of a criminal case.

I doubt that "most" of what the FBI is doing is criminal. But the misdeeds of its leadership are gravely serious, and I frequently write the White House saying they need to get a new FBI director who will clean it up.

The NSA is much more hidden. I can't claim to have a good bead on it. I intend to listen to the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas and AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.