Not open for further replies.

alexp79

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 16, 2013
Hello

Which one you would choose?

In my opinion, if i had to choose, i would prefer forticlient 5 antivirus.

Forticlient 5;
pro:
- good detection and good web protection,
- simple and easy to use,
- Good support ( i tested it on false alarm)
- nice GUI
- free
- no adds and toolbars

con:
- some little bugs last time i used it (3 months ago); maybe they fix it now^^
- not so light on system
- some false positive on web protection but they whitelist it in 24 hours.
- some stuffs are not usefull for non fortigate users (but it seams firewall application and vulnerability things are not anymore in the last version of this product)

Avira
pro:
- quite light on system
- good detection
- free

con:
- Ask toolbar for free and paid versions,
- no webprotection if you refused ask things on installation.
- Ugly GUI in my opinion and lot of settings can't be clear for new users.
- poor support in my opinion.

alexp79

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 16, 2013
thanks littlebits

it's not for me as i love my config and don't want to change it^^
By my opinion i prefer forticlient 5 if i had to choose between those two products

souhrid

Level 5
Jun 29, 2012
I like forticlient more but there is no doubt that avira offers more protection.web protection module of forticlient is one of the top but the problem is their virus signature database., they have improved a lot
I hate avira free because of following reason
1 bad UI
2 options in settings are limited
3 new malwares(that avira doesn't have signatures)easily bypass protection
4 paid options are shown in free version which is annoying
5 virus removal is not good

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
souhrid, as far as I'm aware, Forclient doesn't have any proactive features, so if a piece of malware isn't detected the system can be compromised.

I've used Forticlient 5, but I prefer Avira (last used 2012).

Main reasons;

Pros:
- Better UI
- Lower process count (less security-focussed, but more of a personal thing)
- Optional web protection - I don't consider web protection as important as before, since I know I can trust my modern browser for that. In the past have been brainwashed by Avast's Web Shield.

Negatives:
- Too many options for detected malware.
- Not easy to understand Avira update window

Nothing bad about Avira, except for a few niggles that make the software less usable.

souhrid

Level 5
Jun 29, 2012
Earth I have no doubt that avira gives more protection and it's one of the top vendors in the field ( I already told in the above post that avira offers better protection)

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Stay away from FortiClient. In previous builds included was a low grade Firewall with some Application Control, but in the past few Version 5 builds they stripped that away. As has been pointed out there is no Proactive protection. This is very bad as FC has only a bit better than average detection capabilities.

You may read elsewhere that FortiClient has great detection, but I assure you that these statements are coming from people who have never tested it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm not saying that you didn't, but I don't think Forticlient has protection against new malware either, except if it's Web shield blocks a malicious website hosting new/unknown zero-day malware. ;)

alexp79

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 16, 2013
hello all

just to update some comments here; last update of forticlient 5 left two things for single user; application firewall and vulnerability scan; that's a good news for this product; i think they could switch also the VPN module as majority of single users won't use it.
No proactive it's true (but avira free doesn't have any proactive module on window 64 if i am not wrong) but a fair antivirus and good web protection.
I don't use avira and forticlient but if i had to choose i would go with forticlient for a single reason, no add and no crap toolbar; it's free and clean^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.