App Review FortiClient 6.0.9.0277

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
FortiClient 6.0.9.0277
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
The GUI is nice and well organized. To modify most of the settings you have to click on "Unlock Settings" on the low-left corner.
Default settings are already good, you can tune them deeply by using the conf file.
To do so, you have to go to Settings-->Backup and save the file somwhere. Then you open it (for example with WordPad) and edit it. After saving, you can import it by Settings-->Restore
Here is the official guide https://docs.fortinet.com/document/forticlient/6.0.9/xml-reference-guide/387580/introduction
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
FortiClient has Antivirus, AntiExploit, Heuristic and Web Filter.
It lacks of a strong Behaviour Blocker or HIPS and of a Firewall, but Web Filter and Signatures are top notch.
Sandbox is available only if you have a FortiSandbox connected.
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Many features
    • Minimal setup required
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Weak protection against zero-day threats
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
MSI Cubi Intel Core i3-5005U
12Gb RAM
128Gb SSD
Recommended for
  1. Inexperienced users
  2. Multi-user devices
  3. Financial banking or trading
  4. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
4.00 star(s)

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Here my review about FortiClient 6.0.9.0277 :)

1-Conflicting_AV_Software.jpg2-Installation-options.jpg3-GUI.jpg4-GUI.jpg5-Quarantine.jpg6-AV-Settings.jpg7-AE-Settings.jpg8-Sandbox-Settings.jpg9-Web-Security.jpg10-Web-Security_Settings.jpg11-Vulnerability.jpg12-Notifications.jpg13-Settings.jpg14-About.jpg15-Task-Manager.jpg16-Total-Size.jpg17-Signatures-size.jpg18-Website-Block.jpg19-Virus-Block.jpg

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Your review is good. The only problem I have with this product is it doesn't BB or HIPS. I would only use it with a COMODO firewall.
Yes, you are right. It depends on how much a risky user you are.
Their web filter is really great, so it can save you from most online threats. And they update signatures quite often, their static detection rate is very good.
If you want, you can pair it with CFW or OSA

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Yes, you are right. It depends on how much a risky user you are.
Their web filter is really great, so it can save you from most online threats. And they update signatures quite often, their static detection rate is very good.
If you want, you can pair it with CFW or OSA
If you are ΜΤ member , and secure user and Panda free is enough :LOL: . For CFW I agree. But Osarmor it can t replace the BB. Is my opinion. I may be wrong. Because the last time I used OSArmor is before 2 years

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Hard to best if your are determined to use Comodo Firewall. CF lacks effective net protection, so Forticlient is there with system-wide net filtering. CF lacks effective signature detection, so Forticlient is there with effective a-v detection. CF is enough by itself if the user can manage the quirks, but adding F-C is like getting full coverage from an internet security package. The two together seems better to me than CIS for sure, which has typical Comodo weaknesses itself...

Very good review thanks to @imuade :)

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Is your version the latest? On the website it shows the last one as 6.2.6

V. 6.2+ is no longer free, only 6.0+ are free; and the last 6.0+ version is 6.0.9.
You can still download it from their website

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
V. 6.2+ is no longer free, only 6.0+ are free; and the last 6.0+ version is 6.0.9.
You can still download it from their website
Ohh.. I did not know. Thanks Bro!

Why the hell did they do that? :cautious:
I always liked Forticlient/Fortinet, but I found a bad move from them

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Ohh.. I did not know. Thanks Bro!

Why the hell did they do that? :cautious:
I always liked Forticlient/Fortinet, but I found a bad move from them
FortiClient has always been more a Corporate solution rather than a Personal one (think about their management feature).
Since V. 6.2 has been out, they have updated V. 6.0 too, so let's see if (and hope) they will keep doing so :)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hello, perhaps this sound stupid, but I will ask it anyway: Can I use Forticlient with BTS, or how(advice needed?):)

Why? It's not necessary since you have a complete suite.

Thanks @imuade for an excellent review. I have been tempted to try FC before but always thought setting it up was more complex, i.e. I'm thinking of @ForgottenSeer 58943 's old posts about it. Now we have all the info in one place. (y)(y)

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Because I do things online that some would consider as dangerous behavior: My setup goes like this: BTS+Syshardener+OSAmor.
Second opinion Scanners: Malwarebytes+HitmanPro(paid)+Norton Power Eraser & Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
Is this good enough or what would you recommend.?:confused:

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Hello, perhaps this sound stupid, but I will ask it anyway: Can I use Forticlient with BTS, or how(advice needed?):)
You can install it without real-time protection, the AV will work as a on demand scanner only. Not sure about the other modules.
Because I do things online that some would consider as dangerous behavior: My setup goes like this: BTS+Syshardener+OSAmor.
Second opinion Scanners: Malwarebytes+HitmanPro(paid)+Norton Power Eraser & Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
Is this good enough or what would you recommend.?:confused:
You can just install the web filter. Like this it will be compatible with any other AV and it will protect your online activity

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Hard to best if your are determined to use Comodo Firewall. CF lacks effective net protection, so Forticlient is there with system-wide net filtering. CF lacks effective signature detection, so Forticlient is there with effective a-v detection. CF is enough by itself if the user can manage the quirks, but adding F-C is like getting full coverage from an internet security package. The two together seems better to me than CIS for sure, which has typical Comodo weaknesses itself...

Very good review thanks to @imuade :)
CFW and Comodo do have a lot of things that can go wrong mind, when Forticlient blocks a site it may do so sufficiently. Depends if this bug has been fixed or you have experienced this.

However they do compliment each other expertly if no bug has been encountered

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.