Advice Request Forticlient Free - Pro's and Cons

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
With respect to the Free Antivirus of the Year 2018 competition, I'm starting a thread series where users of the various products will be joining together to state the Pro's and Con's of each antivirus software and why they think it was a contender or not for the Free Antivirus of the Year 2018.

In this thread we'll talk about the Pro's and Con's you have found about Forticlient Free Antivirus.
The first post will be updated by me [or the mods] with what user's think is good and bad about the product, so an informed decision can be made for newcomers.

E

Eddie Morra

I like FortiClient because I find I think it cuts to the chase unless you want to dig through configuration and is bloat-ware free. I think that they have good signatures and it is generally quite well-known that the web filtering with Fortinet is of a good standard; the anti-exploit mitigation's offered for free also also a nice bonus.

There are some cons I can think of but nothing major. I think that the GUI is annoying because some of it still looks really outdated and old whereas some of it looks new, and I dislike how the settings are "locked" until you "unlock it" when there's nothing like a master password set-up.

I personally feel that with FortiClient, you're using the product instead of becoming the product, too.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Pros: Excellent web blocking almost at network level, Up to date signatures, Anti phish champ at par with Webroot, Trend micro.
Cons: Lack of dynamic modules, Can be bypassed if a sample bypasses it signature, So So unknown malware blocking
I definetly do use it, however happy clicking should be avoided..may be paired with combo softwares

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Pros;
+ bloat-free patching of vulnerables
+ good signatures; good web filter
+ very light on system
+ anti-exploit
+ may be paired as combo with other sw
+ simple gui

cons:
- lacking behaviour blocking, sandboxing, and any kind of default deny blocking/ white/blacklisting so its just lotto wich threats will pass or not to pass

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Pros & cons: GUI - a great AV for skilled users (can be tweaked) and for noobs (install & forget), but not for average users, who want a nice AV.
It has that feeling of an enterprise AV, it works fine, but I myself would also prefer some nice eye-candy popups and would just use its webfilter.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Looks interesting from the reviews, waiting for more from other MT members :)

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Pros;
+ bloat-free patching of vulnerables
+ good signatures; good web filter
+ very light on system
+ anti-exploit
+ may be paired as combo with other sw
+ simple gui

cons:
- lacking behaviour blocking, sandboxing, and any kind of default deny blocking/ white/blacklisting so its just lotto wich threats will pass or not to pass
Their website mentions it has behavioural blocking & sandbox. I'm confused now :| I used it for one day it definitely has a sandbox, and it has dynamic modules too.

Reactions: harlan4096

Shiz

Level 1
Verified
Nov 16, 2018
Their website mentions it has behavioural blocking & sandbox. I'm confused now :| I used it for one day it definitely has a sandbox, and it has dynamic modules too.
For sandbox I think you need a fortinet physical sandbox device for it to work. A lot of setting up involves editing the xml settings of the program. You can enable sandbox signatures to add to the protection. Just go take a read at the forticlient topic in this section.

Reactions: oldschool

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Just a friendly reminder, FortiClient is not so user friendly AV as I thought, it is an enterprise AV. You have to update it manually, enterprises do it via software deployment, good for them bad for users.

Like I have just noticed at Softpedia, that there is 6.0.4, I had only 6.0.2, so I updated it, and it actually went up to 6.0.5, lol. Notified Softpedia and added it to software watchlist to keep an eye on it.

P.S.: Yes, I have automatic updating enabled, but that seems to apply to signatures only.

Attachments

• 54519730_451285149030219_7435707318550921216_n.jpg
    54519730_451285149030219_7435707318550921216_n.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 345
  • 54729696_323453021856808_8735124264929198080_n.jpg
    54729696_323453021856808_8735124264929198080_n.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 317

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.