Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
forticlient1.png

Screenshots

This software will help you protect your computer against several types of internet malware!

FortiClient™ Standard Edition offers one of the most comprehensive security suites for your PC available - including a full range of Fortinet threat protections for PCs and laptops, even when used on insecure public networks. This free download provides SSL and IPSec VPN, a personal firewall, antivirus/antispyware scanning, Intrusion Prevention and web filtering. FortiGate™ users complete their network security framework with Endpoint Control, Application Detection and WAN Optimization. Automatic updates from the FortiGuard™ subscription service ensure protection against the latest threats.

FortiClient provides unified security agent features for personal computers including Personal Firewall, IPSec VPN, antispyware, antivirus, antispam and web content filtering.

* Firewall / VPN security
* Antivirus and Malware protection
* Web Filtering
* Endpoint Control and WAN Optimization

FortiClient's protection agent is powered by FortiGuard security subscription services to ensure devices are comprehensibly protected against today's blended threats.

Here are some key features of "FortiClient Standard":
* Antivirus & Antispyware - Provides comprehensive protection against viruses, spyware, keyloggers, trojans, adware and greyware for Windows-based laptops desktops and smartphones. Symbian OS based smartphone support is also available.
* Secure IPsec VPN - Empowers Windows based mobile laptops, desktops and smartphones with the capability to access enterprise applications securely with DES / 3DES encryption.
* Powerful Personal Firewall - Monitors network traffic and enforces the appropriate application access control on Windows based laptops, desktops, smartphones and Symbian-based smartphones.
* Advanced Antispam - Built in antispam that incorporates into MS Outlook for Windows based desktop and laptops
* Web Content Filtering - Provides real-time web content access enforcement to ensure compliance is available for Windows-based laptops and desktops.

System Requirements
* Pentium processor or equivalent
* 100 MB hard disk space
* Compatible Operating System & Minimum RAM:
- Windows 2000: 128 MB
- Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit: 256 MB
- Windows Server 2003 32-bit and 64-bit: 384 MB
- Windows Server 2008 32-bit and 64-bit: 512 MB
- Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit: 512 MB
- Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit: 512 MB

What's new in FortiClient Standard 5.0.0.161:
November 28th, 2012

Antivirus and Antimalware:
· Protection against the latest virus, grayware (adware/riskware) threats.
· Client antivirus is free, and auto updates every three hours.

Application Firewall:
· Block, allow, and monitor applications that send traffic to the network.

· Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)

· Diagnostic Tool

· Enhancements to the FortiClient dashboard

Endpoint Management using FortiGate, including:
· Automatic endpoint registration. User initiated endpoint registration.
· Deploy VPN (IPsec/SSL) configuration
· Enable/disable Antivirus real-time protection.
· Manage/deploy Web Filtering and Application Firewall configuration.

· Localization support

Parental Control/Web Filter:
· Block, allow, warn, and monitor web traffic based on category.

Remote Access (IPsec and SSL VPN):
· Secure Virtual Private Network access to your network.
· Supports multiple gateways for a single tunnel.

· Rootkit detection and removal

· Single Sign-On Mobility Agent support with FortiAuthenticator/FSSO Collector Agent

· Support automatic executing of a custom batch script via an IPsec VPN tunnel

· Support multiple (maximum 10) gateway IP/FQDN in a single IPsec VPN configuration

· Support XML configuration

· VPN from system tray

VPN auto connect/always up:
· Support ability to automatically connect to a VPN tunnel without user interaction
· Support ability to configure the VPN to always be connected

Vulnerability Scan:
· Identify system and application vulnerabilities.

Release Notes

Homepage
Download (Softpedia)

G

Guest28

RE: FortiClient Security Standard v.5.0.0.16 released

I am using this at the time. They have a very rapid response when you report malicious urls to them. I have submitted a few and they where all blocked within 15- 20 mins. I have to hand it to them they are improving.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

The new GUI looks awesome, bunch of nice features added in this release.

I will have to try this version but I'm going to wait until I get an available system, I don't like changing this up on my main system. I have already sold all of my custom built systems and only have two old XP systems left.

I want to try it on a new system.

Thanks.:D

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

Looks interesting, many thanks for all the information :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Version: 5.0.5.308 just was released, changes are unknown at this time.

Enjoy!! :D

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Hopefully they've cut down on it's mem usage. It was kind of heavy the last time I tried it. Web filter on it is phenomenal.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Here on a Win764 machine, with all its processes, its using less than 40MB private working set.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I was using it on a win7 32bit and it was running around 70-80MB PWS. It also seemed to drag down my browsing a little. Might have to try it again after this newest update depending on what the change log is.

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
i would like to try it but when i download the file i got a stripe down version no firewall or vulnerability scan i guess you have to buy to get those things but thanks for the share tho

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Changelogs from the previous version:

What’s New in FortiClient v5.0
Summary of enhancements:
The following is a list of enhancements in FortiClient v5.0.
FortiClient (Windows) v5.0 Patch Release 4
• Assign endpoint control profiles based on Active Directory group
Requires a FortiGate running FortiOS v5.0 Patch Release 3 or later
On a system using Active Directory (AD) for user account verification, FortiClient will send
the AD user name and group to the FortiGate during Endpoint Control (EC) registration. The
FortiGate may be configured to select the correct EC profile by user or group.
• Display endpoint control profile details in registration dialog box
• Removed Vulnerability Scan (VCM) and Application Firewall for standalone users
Requires a FortiGate running FortiOS v5.0 Patch Release 2 or later
FortiGate administrators may choose to display these two features (on FortiClient) for users
registered to the FortiGate.
• Enhanced how the list and status of FortiGates are displayed for endpoint control
registration.

http://docs.fortinet.com/fclient/forticlient-admin-504.pdf

So basically they removed Vulnerability scan and Application firewall in the free home user version. But it still has web filtering which is its best protection feature. I can understand why they removed these features.

Improvements in Windows Firewall in Win7 & Win8, UAC and SmartScreen are enough for home users. But business systems need Application firewall and Vulnerability scans because they are targeted by more malicious types of malware.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Littlebits said:

Summary of enhancements:
On a system using Active Directory (AD) for user account verification, FortiClient will send
the AD user name and group to the FortiGate during Endpoint Control (EC) registration. The
• Removed Vulnerability Scan (VCM) and Application Firewall for standalone users
FortiGate administrators may choose to display these two features (on FortiClient) for users
• Enhanced how the list and status of FortiGates are displayed for endpoint control
registration.

So basically they removed Vulnerability scan and Application firewall in the free home user version. But it still has web filtering which is its best protection feature. I can understand why they removed these features.

Improvements in Windows Firewall in Win7 & Win8, UAC and SmartScreen are enough for home users. But business systems need Application firewall and Vulnerability scans because they are targeted by more malicious types of malware.

Littlebits have you tried it yet?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
kjdemuth said:
Littlebits said:

Summary of enhancements:
registration.

Littlebits have you tried it yet?

I have not tried the latest version but I have tried previous versions and it is an excellent product. Like I said it has industrial strength web proxy filter which blocks malicious content before it can load. That feature alone does better then what most other AV's can offer free or paid.

When I get some time I will try the latest version to see if anything changed from my last experience.

Good day. :D

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
THanks littlebits. Yeah the web filter is awesome. The AV scanner is great too. The current tests have it in the high 90's for detection. Adding this with a free firewall/HIPS of your choice would be a great combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.