Thanks.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
My opinion:
Features: Avast 8 free
more buggy: Avast, but it's very possible that it will work ok on your pc, not necessary to have problems.
more false positives: Avira
Usability: Avast
detection (not removal): both are good but I believe Avast is better in total 'cause of the wider variety of security features.
Edit: sorry, forgot to mention that I don't have an idea about forticlient; I compare you only the other two.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Detection - Avira
Usability - Avast
Stability - Avast
Features - Avast
ifhcqe1w8k.jpg

3qf8t61u4h.jpg

1tstir9w9v.jpg

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avira and Avast are known to be top notch free software however Forticlient being long time product around has a prominent potential like their web filter is solid.

Avast and Avira are really familiarize by the users in terms of pros and cons.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Also, Know that they are both not very good removing nasty viruses from the system. For example, I tested sirefef genC on virtual machine; Avast could detect the driver infected but could not remove it, Avira could not even detect the virus. I know it's a particular case, but it's one of the most known rootkits these days and it's possibly an idea how products handle such difficult infections. I also tested Kaspersky, Norton, Webroot. They detected the rootkit but could not remove it completely either. The only program that removed it properly was microsoft security essentials.
Avira seems to be better in AV-comparatives removal tests than Avast but take it with a grin of salt as a big testing company is involved.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What about Forticlient, how does it compare to the more known Avast and Avira?

The last I tested Forticlient was years ago when the Web Filter was more customisable (or that I remember) with a maroon/red GUI.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Curious to know what's up about forticlient. I 've heard it only as a name. Is it worth putting it in comparison to Avast and Avira?

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
they have two free versions, one which is mentioned by jamescv7

and another version with full features is http://www.forticlient.com/
this is Endpoint Protection Version.....

their web shield is really good, and you can customize it easily...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I installed Forticlient 5.0 on Windows 7, the Web Filter is excellent against the dozen URLs from the Virus List and the Parental Control blocks any restricted web sites. I'm awaiting the Virus Database to finish, but until then it looks to perform well, despite it's dozen processes.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Agreed, the process count is irritating. Wasting resources by components of the product you aren't even using.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Agreed, the process count is irritating. Wasting resources by components of the product you aren't even using.

FortiClient Standard is a full security suite, try FortiClient Lite instead if you don't want a bunch of processes.

I voted for Avast since it has more features to protect you like the auto sandbox.

But all of the above are good choices if you watch your own actions while downloading and running executable files. They can equally protect you.

Thanks.:D

SlimShady

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
I'll put my money on Avast here. I've used Avira before and it has annoyed me with a lot of Ads and that god-awful toolbar. Even with the registry fix to enable web protection Avira tends to be really annoying with the huge ads. Haven't used Forticlient before so I won't say anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.