Battle Forticlient VS Sophos Home

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
The decision may be hard to some because they are very similar in their ability. Both signature wise, and web blocking.

The biggest difference is in how you set them up. Forticlient being the easiest and less of a pain in the butt. It is a true home AV unlike Sophos which gives a "business" or I suppose an enterprise feel to it. It is after all based off of one. Having to set it up on a browser is not very user friendly for one computer use (which is what most would use it for).

For protection, I believe both to be equal or at least similarly equal. Both uses signatures and heuristics. Both very strong in use against malware and adware alike. Web blocking is very configurable and more effective than most suites (if not all). There is the built in Forticlient VPN support (not a security features, but an addon), Sandbox support (via FortiSandbox), etc which Sophos is lacking. For that reason, Forticlient does have an advantage against unknowns if fully utilized.

On a personal note: Forticlient has also been far more stable. Upon installation (many times - even after updates) I could not get Sophos to start up by itself. It's somewhat forced deletion (unless you use exclusions) of what it deemed malicious was a huge nuisance to me since I do use tools that are uncommon or even thrown together myself.

With Forticlient it was far easier to not only set exclusions, but to add to exclusions upon detection without the need to select individual folders, drives (which is risky even if a secondary drive, external, USB, etc) and files.

Last edited:

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I voted Forticlient: It has better web-protection, the resource usage is more friendly, the protection is a little better then sophos (forticlient now has a cloud protection). To use sohpos you need an account and to log in to the web panel to do everything.

The decision may be hard to some because they are very similar in their ability. Both signature wise, and web blocking.

Thanks For Reply :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OokamiCreed

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.