Fortnite Accounts Hacked, Epic Issuing Refunds, What's Exposed And How To Secure It

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
fortnite.jpg

by [URL='https://hothardware.com/author/Brandon-Hill']Brandon Hill
[/URL]
— Monday, March 12, 2018

Fortnite
is an incredibly popular multiplayer sandbox survival game, which also means that it has a big red target painted on its back due to its huge install base. Fortnite's vulnerability to attacks has become more visible in recent weeks as players began discovering that their accounts had been compromised.

Apparently, hackers have found a way to infiltrate Epic Games accounts and rack of hundreds of dollars (or more) in purchases using an attached credit card through PayPal. Luckily for some of the Fornite victims, that have been able to obtain direct assistance from Epic Games.

"Have to give Epic some credit. Someone logged in to my account and bought the Ultimate upgrade (had PayPal tied to my account) and then took the two standard edition keys," wrote redditor NetJnkie. "Filed a report and got the notice that I'll get a refund this morning."

Some users weren't so lucky, however. "My account was also hacked about 4 days ago, and I didn't even get a single response from Epic or Fortnite," write RottenRazer. "The Hackers spent $110, used all my codes and selected all my in-game founder items. I emailed them 3 times via their help site saying my account was compromised and for a refund, tweeted them, and called their HQ. Still no response from them either."

As you can tell from the response to NetJnkie, Epic Games is well aware of the problem. In fact, the company got in contact with Kotaku, writing, "We are aware of instances where users’ accounts have been compromised using well-known hacking techniques and are working to resolve these issues directly with those players affected. Any players who believe their account has been compromised should reach out to our player support immediately.”

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.