Battle Free antivirus or Paid antivirus? Which one are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
or maybe you just don't know that you were infected.

Please don't take offense to my comment. I'm only trying to make a point.

I'm a Cyber Security Analyst and for many, many years, I've heard quite a few of my clients say "My computer is fine. I've never been infected." In most of those cases, I scanned their system and found one or more infections. My supervisor at one company also made the same claim.... with the same results. The point is, we can never be 100% sure our systems are not infected.

Lol yes, when you're using an antivirus like MSE which is so sub par in detection, you'll *never* know if you're infected or not :D

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
I'm using Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
MSE is useless, if you want a companion for Tiramium, i recommend Malwarebytes Anti-malware Pro.
Read the March 2014 Prevalence report and get back to us.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/microsoft-prevalence-based-analysis-file-detection-tests/
MS.png

Last edited:

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
MSE did change the history of the av's, even though laitely it doesn't preform so good it is still one of my favorites.

and yes I've been using MSE since it was announced up until 4 moths ago with no problems. I've just changed to 360IS not because of the detection rate but coz its very very light almost zero resources.

and yeh i would still be using it if 360IS will be discontinued

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

Raider Red

Level 2
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
I use paid but only because on "Black Friday" every year, the bargains are there; (example)...WebrootSecurity Complete for $9.95 (5 computers), ESET-NOD 32, Bitdefender....on and on....under $10 for example. Almost like Christmas. And I want to support them a small bit.
P.S. That's not to say free products aren't good because many are...excellent in some cases!

Last edited:

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
is it really important
whether you Paid AV / IS used?

I believe that it is important
the programmers AV / IS supports will

I think,it is pity
there is no project from AV / IS
are the how PrivatZer with a
Donate version works

I have such projects
always with pleasure
also with donate supports

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Always free, I feel like paid AV = scam (they don't offer the protection they say on website, it is 99% marketing.)

If anyone wanna test what I said, install on a VM infect with some malware (don't use mdl and other similar sites), keep the VM working for 3-4 days and you will see that the AV didn't do anything (If you where lucky and got a patcher you will clean that with a Rescue Disk, not your AV).

I use : 360 Total Security + HitmanPro.Alert

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
Free softwares combination
Avira Free + Comodo Firewall+ Malwarebytes Free for Windows XP installation
Baidu Antivirus + Comodo Internet Security for Windows 7 Installation....
..... can't remember, when my PC was infected last time ...

Reactions: nissimezra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.