Free Antivirus: Real Time Anti-Malware Detection Rates

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
For anyone interested http://www.westcoastlabs.com/realTimeTesting/article/?articleID=1#item3

For many people, paying for an Internet Security Suite is either not an option or not a choice they’d like to make, depending on how you look at things. Luckily there are more than a few free software solutions on offer. For the testing of these we worked with West Coast Labs (WCL).

Thanks to West Coast Labs, PC & Tech Authority is providing its readers with real time access to the testing data from free security suites. This means you’ll be able to see the prevention rates as a percentage across the three vectors, as well as the average prevention rate for each service.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for the heads up

How come that panda, adware AV, COMODO AV and some others wheren't apart from this test? they are free. Four products is not enough

I really wonder why people make such a big deal of malware detection; what happens if it doesn't have detection for it through signature... In my eyes this means nothing and worthless test.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Valentin N said:
Thanks for the heads up

How come that panda, adware AV, COMODO AV and some others wheren't apart from this test? they are free. Four products is not enough

I really wonder why people make such a big deal of malware detection; what happens if it doesn't have detection for it through signature... In my eyes this means nothing and worthless test.
Very interesting, I do agree they should have more free AV's in the testing.
Panda Cloud, Comodo, FortiClient lite, Ad-Aware Free, Unthreat Free, Immunet, Outpost Security Suite FREE and digital defender antivirus free.

Signature detection works best for most users and is more effective at stopping malware outbreaks because most users are novice and they are the ones that spread infections to others.

Sometimes it might hard for advanced users to realize how many users don't even know what Windows Task Manger or Recycle Bin is used for, how to copy and paste, even use right clicks on the mouse. ;) They can't handle anything else but signature based AV's.

Thanks.:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.