Free Antivirus You Can Trust by PC World

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Can a free download really protect your PC? Yes, but you have to choose the right one. Our lab tests identify the most reliable no-cost security programs.

Read More

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
I am sure looking at the screenshot the test was done with version 6 and NOT with version 7.

I dont trust what they say...avira is better than AVG so far and avast is better than any free AV.:D

avira has done better than avg in the real world test of AV-comparatives...WTF are they talking about??

D

Deleted member 178

Malwarekiller, remember that each test labs has its own methodology and their own malwares samples, so unless a common procedure is created with common samples, every test will show different or even opposite results.

So just take those tests as informations.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Didn't expect to see such good results from AVG and PC Tools has managed to get 100% in the signature based scan....
[attachment=1186]

Not a very good review for Comodo Internet Security, wonder what settings they have used ..

Also including Ad-Aware 10 in this list..is purely a marketing technique......Hopefully they've got some money for doing that.. ;)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    459.4 KB · Views: 736

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Jack said:
Not a very good review for Comodo Internet Security, wonder what settings they have used ..

Yeah, it's a bit confusing, because it you look at the real-world malware fully blocked and real-world malware partially blocked columns, the total equals 100%. That sounds like it blocked everything.

What exactly do they mean by 'partially blocked'?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Anyone else think the font looks similar to the one used by AVG?

I didn't even now there was a PC Tool AV Free, well I did, but I didn't know it allowed removal.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
You always think that AVG is going be the top one. Mind you Avast has been doing quite well in it's free version and how they have been updating it.

LochNess

Apr 2, 2011
Is it possible to download AVG Free Version directly from AVG website...? I found it available from CNET but couldn't find link on AVG's Website...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not the Free version, but have you tried a download from FileHippo?

http://filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/

LochNess

Apr 2, 2011
Earth said:
Not the Free version, but have you tried a download from FileHippo?

http://filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/

Thanks for help... I prefer to download via FileHippo vs CNET...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.