Free AV: Avast vs Panda vs Qihoo 360 vs Bitdefender vs AVG for Windows 7 & 10 (2016)

Glitch

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 27, 2016
As mentioned, my primary priorities are

0. Free
1. Performance and resources consuming.
2. Ease of use, Options and UI (Not Important But a Plus of Course)
3. Protection (Not the Main Objective But a Plus of Course)
4. Not mentioned more lightweight product is huge plus only if it's trustworthy as better protection than the mentioned products.

Edit: AVG is added, feel free to add more products. These ones are the only free products I'm aware of (except avira which is too advanced for my friend with all the false-positive and too much restrictions, so no for this one at this situation)

Last edited:

Wordward

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
So if you could only choose between Panda Free or Qihoo 360 Total Security Essential, on a Windows 10 laptop also running Zemana AnitLogger, which AV would you use? I've been good at not changing my AV for several months now, but the itch is back after reading this thread. LOL I've only used Windows Defender and SecureAPlus, until the recent Zemana lifetime offer, and uninstalled it to use Zemana with Windows Defender. But like I said. The itch is back and I like both of those AV's. Avast worries me because of the SFC problem. Thanks.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
So if you could only choose between Panda Free or Qihoo 360 Total Security Essential
Best way is to try both and see what you think. If lightness and ease of use are two of your main priorities, as they are the OP's, then Panda. if they're not so important, then you may prefer 360 TS Essentials. Panda also provides quite sufficient offline protection for most people's needs.

But as I say, the best thing in my opinion is to decide for yourself by giving them both a spin.

IMPORTANT: During installation of Panda, to avoid Panda Safe Web hijacking your browser, I strongly recommend you uncheck the 3 boxes before clicking on ACCEPT and INSTALL.

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Best way is to try both and see what you think. If lightness and ease of use are your main priorities, as they are the OP's, then Panda. if they're not so important, then you may prefer 360 TS Essentials. Panda also provides quite sufficient offline protection for most people's needs.

But as I say, the best thing in my opinion is to decide for yourself by giving them both a spin.
I second this.

Wordward

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks. I have, of course, tried every AV out there over the years, both free and paid. Most recent was AVG. I prefer Panda, but I read about a quarantine problem. Users were able to remove a file from quarantine, but it didn't work properly afterwards or something to that effect. I set my security to ask, but it still concerns me.

Glitch

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 27, 2016
OK panda performance is great. I settle for this one on this laptop with Windows 10. Avast with Windows 7 on the slower laptop (earlier one) and 360 on fresh Windows 10 on my brother's main PC. Thank you all for your entry. I really appreciate all posts. I probably will need your recommendation on some "paid" & "free" specific products in the near future for Windows 10. This will be for my main PC though :D and will involve a lot of testing from me. Thanks to you all again :)

Regards

Reactions: uninfected1

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
my 2 cents worth is never ever trust windows defender and firewall they are crap today i installed avira /malwarebytes anti-malware/anti-exploit on my laptop and both caught 3 real threats and 2 PUP and windows defender or the firewall caught them explain that to me

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
OK panda performance is great.
Glad to hear it. I was pretty certain it would be bearing in mind your specific requirements;). Problem is most people here just recommended their favourite AV which I've no doubt works well for them but completely ignored what you were specifically asking for. Have to say though I would have thought the lighter and more user friendly Panda would have been even better on the older W7 machine.

Regarding other software to complement Panda, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free and VoodooShield Free would make good companions but you may wish to start another thread for this.

Reactions: Glitch

Glitch

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 27, 2016
In my opinion, Avira is the best among all the others.
Light,fast and stable.

As much as I agree, its false-positive overhead is trouble to me. I was surprised though how good is avast !!. Very fast and catches actually many threats. Let alone the tests it passed and proofed its worthy. Other than the default installed components which can be disabled at the beginning of the installation, it's pretty good as avira imo, maybe better without the false-positive overhead and healing files issue.

But no product is perfect, I can live with some additional install content which are OPTIONALLY available to be disabled at the beginning of the installation process !!!

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I voted Avast!
Personally i am dubious about using AV that only use cloud based scanners as what would happen if say a virus or trojan disabled your internet connection? If i was to use one it would be run alongside a signature based AV!

Reactions: ZeroDay

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Detection rates? Qihoo 360 [exlusion of privacy policy issues] even you disable Avira and Bitdefender engine, their in-house improved a lot.

Terms of balance protection and features:

Avast Free (up to the paid version) hands down, because it's effective especially the scenario where signatures bypass.

Next will be Bitdefender and AVG seating on the acceptable ratings too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.