Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Disclaimer (revised):
  • I'm "acting" as my own new-average PC user who wants Free Security for my Windows 10 PC, and by visiting these sites I will click on the buttons that I think I will need for Free security.
  • In some cases Free Trials, Bundleware (Crapware) may be installed
  • Custom Install buttons will be ignored for the purpose of this experiment, but still may be shown.
  • Start-up Impact in Task Manager are not recorded, as results may vary per system.
  • Test system under VirtualBox running Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
  • I strongly advise you to make your own judgements
Free Download from Avast.com - How much crap gets installed?

Head over to Avast.com and they'll advertise to Download Free Antivirus.

upload_2017-5-12_16-44-53.png

We are automatically opted-in to get Google Chrome web browser, and it's noticeable that the font size is very small to read.

upload_2017-5-12_16-46-32.png

Customise Options: They provide finer controls, should user wish to opt-out of any Security, Privacy and Performance features. However, we will ignore tweaking the installation and click on Install from the screenshot above.

upload_2017-5-12_16-48-15.png

Avast silently installs in the background and hides it's own pop-up notification so you continue using your PC.

upload_2017-5-12_16-49-54.png

Avast was successfully installed and we are prompted with a screen to Continue.

upload_2017-5-12_16-54-22.png

We are given the opportunity to install Avast Free Mobile Security for Android.

upload_2017-5-12_16-55-31.png

Clicking on Install Free, we are taken to the Google Play Store so we can remotely install Avast for Android.

upload_2017-5-12_16-56-59.png

Google Chrome has been installed and opens without any extensions or other search engines.

upload_2017-5-12_16-58-47.png

When we open Avast for the first time, we are given a gift to boost security. Let's Unwrap it.

upload_2017-5-12_17-0-16.png

But at this point the GUI froze with a blank white screen and was unable to do anything. I am forced to restart Windows.

upload_2017-5-12_17-2-23.png

Let's try that again, we are offered reasonable discounts for Pro Antivirus and Internet Security. I continued by clicking on the green Upgrade button.

upload_2017-5-12_17-13-1.png

Here we can choose between 1, 2 or 3 years of paid protection.

upload_2017-5-12_17-14-5.png

By continuing with upgrade, we get an Upsell Ad to spend a little more for Avast Premier.

upload_2017-5-12_17-16-13.png

Let's proceed with Upgrade to Avast Premier. My order appears with auto-renewal enabled and other Avast products at discounted prices that we can add to the basket. To continue we need to enter personal information like address and payment details.

upload_2017-5-12_17-16-58.png

Continuous Protection will automatically renew your subscription, as explained by clicking on More Info.

upload_2017-5-12_17-19-26.png

Back to Avast and we find the Software Updater, but Automatic updates is Off. Attempts to enable, we are shown that we must Upgrade to use.

upload_2017-5-12_17-25-21.png

Avast Passwords can be used for free, but a Premium license can be purchased (as seen in the Order basket screenshot, 3 up)

upload_2017-5-12_17-26-23.png

Avast offers SecureLine VPN with a 7-day free trial.

upload_2017-5-12_17-27-14.png

Avast offers Cleanup Premium, so I Check My PC.

upload_2017-5-12_17-29-41.png

Avast says a lot can be improved, so let's Resolve the issues.

upload_2017-5-12_17-31-18.png

We are offered to Buy Now or Try It for Free.

upload_2017-5-12_17-31-36.png

In order to Try for Free, we must enter payment details for a 30-day free trial. Again, I do not wish to purchase anything.

upload_2017-5-12_17-34-12.png

When we Activate and stick with Free Antivirus, we are offered a Free Trial for Internet Security.

upload_2017-5-12_17-36-47.png

Let's continue with the Free Trial for premium protection and get more security features.

upload_2017-5-12_17-37-46.png

We are asked to reboot Windows to use Avast Internet Security.

upload_2017-5-12_17-48-22.png

Windows Task Manager: Displays what will load at Start-up.

upload_2017-5-12_17-51-6.png

The complete list of Avast applications on Windows 10 via the Control Panel.

upload_2017-5-12_17-52-34.png

This concludes my How Much Crap Gets Installed for Avast Free Antivirus. It's an eye-opener to compare Avast with AVG, and see how they differ in marketing tactics.

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
In the case of Avast, some modules add value to the main product and others not, but the logic is similar for the other AVs you tested in this specific context.
Personally, I believe that additional modules increase the CPU cycles and RAM usage.
At least Avast offers the choice to install or not many of the modules.
However, I come from the old school: antivirus must only do its job, without unnecessary frills.

pablozi

Level 22
Verified
Trusted
I have never said that but Avast is on my "no go" list because of their rogue marketing tactics - their free AV is one big advertisement and if you're on Windows 10 then you can simply skip any 3rd party AV as Windows Defender is getting better, is working on a kernel level and will not nagging you to buy the "extended protection".
If you're not happy clicker then stay on what Windows 10 offers and if you really need some extra layer then add VoodooShield free and you're good to go.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
I have never said that but Avast is on my "no go" list because of their rogue marketing tactics - their free AV is one big advertisement and if you're on Windows 10 then you can simply skip any 3rd party AV as Windows Defender is getting better, is working on a kernel level and will not nagging you to buy the "extended protection".
If you're not happy clicker then stay on what Windows 10 offers and if you really need some extra layer then add VoodooShield free and you're good to go.
+1
These days almost all free AVs are just a huge amount of marketing crap.

In2an3_PpG

Level 17
Verified
Content Creator
+1
These days almost all free AVs are just a huge amount of marketing crap.
+1 to your +1.

Thanks @Spawn

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
wow.... very useful to see before selecting avs....
:)

I have never said that but Avast is on my "no go" list because of their rogue marketing tactics - their free AV is one big advertisement
Avast's Free Antivirus has become their advertising platform, but on the rare occasion you might find a really good deal, as I did when I purchased a license for Avast Premier for £4.99 (Avast Store offer).
Some of their past decisions haven't been the best either, as seen in 2014.

This is really bad in comparing with avira!
It just installs it... :mad:
What just gets installed?