Free download from Avira.com - How much crap gets installed?

Spawn

Administrator
Staff member
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
Disclaimer (revised):
  • I'm "acting" as my own new-average PC user who wants Free Security for my Windows 10 PC, and by visiting these sites I will click on the buttons that I think I will need for Free security.
  • In some cases Free Trials, Bundleware (Crapware) may be installed
  • Custom Install buttons will be ignored for the purpose of this experiment, but still may be shown.
  • Start-up Impact in Task Manager are not recorded, as results may vary per system.
  • Test system under VirtualBox running Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
  • I strongly advise you to make your own judgements
Free Download from Avira.com - How much crap gets installed?

Head over to Avira.com, you'll be introduced to their Free Security Suite which includes a plethora of Free Software for your Security Suite.

upload_2017-5-11_19-21-7.png

Avira "Free Security Suite" will begin after you click Accept & Install. Please note, I did not observe any options to Customise the installation.

upload_2017-5-11_19-21-43.png

If you open Avira Connect from system tray, you can see what's been done. The Antivirus is last in line.

upload_2017-5-11_19-33-42.png

Using Windows Task Manager, you can see the additional Start-up items that have been added by the Free Security Suite.

upload_2017-5-11_19-37-37.png

Avira Phantom VPN is not enabled to run at boot.

upload_2017-5-11_19-39-29.png

Avira Scout is their new Chrome-based browser with some additional functions that are not available in Chrome/Firefox/Edge.

upload_2017-5-11_19-42-10.png

Avira Free Software Updater will scan for out-of-date applications, with a big juicy Advert to Upgrade to Pro for better functions.

upload_2017-5-11_19-44-6.png

Now that Avira Free Antivirus has completed, Luke Filewalker begins the first system scan.

upload_2017-5-11_19-44-28.png

Click on the Pop-up Notification (as seen above) to be taken to find out more information and why register for an Avira Account.

upload_2017-5-11_19-49-13.png

You are now protected by Avira Free Security Suite.

upload_2017-5-11_19-55-38.png

The complete list of software installed by Avira "Free Security Suite", but it's worth mentioning that Avira Connect cannot be uninstalled without losing Avira Antivirus protection.

upload_2017-5-11_19-56-21.png

This concludes my How Much Crap Gets Installed. More coming soon.

Last edited:

Xsjx

Level 13
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avira
Please stop saying: Crap
It's useful in paid version, you don't need to install this so @Spawn. Go talk about how some other AV installs crap with PAID version.

Last edited by a moderator:
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Comodo
Pls stop saying Crap
Its usefull in paid version, you dont need to install this so @Spawn Go talk about how some other install crap with PAID version.
He's pointing out the fact that the free security suite is the first thing advertised by Avira on their homepage and a non-savvy user would install the free suite and are forced to download the included bloat that they don't need. If they're going to advertise it as their default free solution then they should allow you to decide what you want during the download/installation process.
A good example of this would be Avast. It allows you to pick and choose what components you wish to install:

Just use paid or dont complain about Avira...
Not a viable option for many.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
He's pointing out the fact that the free security suite is the first thing advertised by Avira on their homepage and a non-savvy user would install the free suite and are forced to download the included bloat that they don't need. If they're going to advertise it as their default free solution then they should allow you to decide what you want during the download/installation process.
A good example of this would be Avast. It allows you to pick and choose what components you wish to install:

Awww, don't ruin future threads. :p

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Comodo
Awww, don't ruin future threads. :p
Don't worry, Avast is still liable for a beating with its shady "Receive your free welcome gift now!" promotion banners that's just a discount for their paid products. Not as bad as installing a bunch of applications you didn't really want but I'd argue it falls into the realm of false advertising.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avast
Pls stop saying Crap
Its usefull in paid version, you dont need to install this so @Spawn Go talk about how some other install crap with PAID version.
U can defend avira as much as u can, as always. Just have a look at avast and how nice they are doing this. :) Costum install what u want and done. No bloat, no crap and all this useless stuff u dont want. Just the realtime protection ur searching. :)

Xsjx

Level 13
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avira
U can defend avira as much as u can, as always. Just have a look at avast and how nice they are doing this. :) Costum install what u want and done. No bloat, no crap and all this useless stuff u dont want. Just the realtime protection ur searching. :)
ERMG it lets you choose to install it doesn't force! Standard it only downloads the Antivirus ( so people wouldn't install it without knowing it :rolleyes:)

Its better than avast install this doesn't install anything until you click on Avira launcher and then click install...

Last edited by a moderator:
OS
Windows 7
Antivirus
Kaspersky
how could Admin of this forum put the word "crap" to a product. it's someone's work and maybe someone is looking for it out there. whether it's VPN, browser, system speed up. what's crap for you doesn't mean crap for other. new-average user might see it in so many ways, either extra free tools or crapware. this thread should be 'what bundle you get' because it's a suite. Avira provide stand alone installer for every product like AV, VPN or whatever it is. let them choose theirself whether it's useful or crap