Free download from Avira.com - How much crap gets installed?

mekelek

Level 28
MH Trial
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
is Avira's realtime protection consist of only signatures or am i missing something?
is there a way to disable sigs or they solely rely on sigs? the site boasts about advanced anti-ransomware but all i can find is sigs...

Xsjx

Level 13
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avira
is Avira's realtime protection consist of only signatures or am i missing something?
is there a way to disable sigs or they solely rely on sigs? the site boasts about advanced anti-ransomware but all i can find is sigs...
This answer i got

Avira Antivirus is build on several security layers and yes, there are also proactive sensors included in the protection.

- Signature based detection + removal of malware
- Heuristic detection + removal of malware
- Cloud + proactive detection of malware

And i cant tell if you can disable Sigs @MWTHelper do u know?

mekelek

Level 28
MH Trial
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
This answer i got

Avira Antivirus is build on several security layers and yes, there are also proactive sensors included in the protection.

- Signature based detection + removal of malware
- Heuristic detection + removal of malware
- Cloud + proactive detection of malware

And i cant tell if you can disable Sigs @MWTHelper do u know?
from the settings, i can disable Real time protection Fully, but i'm 99% sure that will disable every single module they have.
If i add the the executable to Exceptions, it will fully ignore it too...

Xsjx

Level 13
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avira
from the settings, i can disable Real time protection Fully, but i'm 99% sure that will disable every single module they have.
If i add the the executable to Exceptions, it will fully ignore it too...
You can try

Threat Categories
in general and disable it idk if it still works but i think cloud is cloud and sigs detect from that...

OS
Windows 7
Antivirus
Kaspersky
that's just extended categories, I think there's no way to test different module of Avira, because it doesnt have it, the way it detects threats, if it found something suspicious but out of the sigs, then it would be uploaded to cloud, so it's just sigs, heur and cloud like @Xsjx said

edit : you may try to disable those extended and retest, and try to disable the real time and retest, i'd love to see how it performs on MH with real time enabled-disabled, and categories selected and unselected,

mekelek

Level 28
MH Trial
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
that's just extended categories, I think there's no way to test different module of Avira, because it doesnt have it, the way it detects threats, if it found something suspicious but out of the sigs, then it would be uploaded to cloud, so it's just sigs, heur and cloud like @Xsjx said

edit : you may try to disable those extended and retest, and try to disable the real time and retest, i'd love to see how it performs on MH with real time enabled-disabled, and categories selected and unselected,
well since Realtime uses Sigs, and every module is in Realtime, if i disable it, it makes it totally useless.
so there is nothing to test other than Sigs, which is useless.

Xsjx

Level 13
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avira
well since Realtime uses Sigs, and every module is in Realtime, if i disable it, it makes it totally useless.
No it doenst make it useless in really new samples... btw it proves its good and you cant prove its bad ;)

OS
Linux
Antivirus
Isolation
No it doenst make it useless in really new samples... btw it proves its good and you cant prove its bad ;)
We'll see how good or bad it is when he starts testing it in the Malware Hub and it gets bypassed daily lol.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Comodo
Turn off real-time protection and do a context menu scan of the malware folder. Once the malware Avira detected via the scan have been removed then turn real-time protection back on and launch the remaining samples that Avira missed in the scan. Avira's other modules and cloud analysis will then be given the chance to catch the remaining samples.

mekelek

Level 28
MH Trial
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
Turn off real-time protection and do a context menu scan of the malware folder. Once the malware Avira detected via the scan have been removed then turn real-time protection back on and launch the remaining samples that Avira missed in the scan. Avira's other modules and cloud analysis will then be given the chance to catch the remaining samples.
how is it gonna catch a ransomware tho? there is zero behavior analyzing or machine learning, just sigs.