Free Editor (by Blue Labs, LLC)- Is this safe to download and install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjtoohey

Thread author
Apr 21, 2016
Hi, Malware Tips!
I signed up mainly to ask questions, meaning I'm not very PC intelligent even though I'm a mainframe programmer since 1978. I finally got my own PC at home last October 2015. My wife uses our normal one all the time. So I bought a re-furbished windows 7 pc. I didn't realize it doesn't come with Microsoft word or excel. I just bumped into this FREE Download called Free Editor and wonder if you could recommend it is OK or not OK. See ...freeeditor.com/
thanks, Michael

Reactions: Rishi and DJ Panda

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
First off all, if you decide to download this program, make sure you uncheck the optional offers. You don't need that Deskbar toolbar.
optional.jpg

The download does not contain malware: Antivirus scan for 2e4e7292f134b5f63935d79e5042af97ef5324f1b488d6bceb7f8d7427f0ddf7 at 2016-04-22 03:51:15 UTC - VirusTotal
The program itself has been reviewed a few years ago by PCWorld, and it's offered as download on MajorGeeks. - Review: Free Editor lets you open and edit over 70 different file types for free

I've installed "Free Editor" on my virtual machine, and while the program it's not malicious, it seems like a very basic program.
editor.jpg
If you need a free alternative to Microsoft Office, I would rather install one of these:

Related thread: Which Office Suite do you use ?

Reactions: Ink and Rishi

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
The download link is flagged as malicious by Bitdefender and Avira although the downloaded file analysis is clean 0/56.
Scan report for http://files.bluelabs.net/freeeditor/webdisclosure/all/none/FreeEditor.exe at 2016-04-22 05:43:53 UTC - VirusTotal

So I put that detection to the Deskbar offer at the page itself. I have myself used this on my flashdrive in the past it can do basic editing of XML based Office formats like docx,xlsx and open many others. There is a portableapps format .paf (basically installs a portable folder) file available for this software at thinstall website.

I am unable to use this software with Windows 10 and currently replaced it with Abiword which can also handle XML.Also a user of Softmaker FreeOffice. ;)

Reactions: Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.