Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Total voters

Umbra

Level 25
Verified
From Ghacks:
That isn't a good news for Lastpass, Private Equity firms are value vampires...expect cost-saving optimizations for later resell to some rich companies who won't be as regarding to quality/privacy than the original company.

SFox

Level 3
Verified
There is also Kaspersky Password Manager. In the free version, the restriction on sites is up to 15 sites. But 15 sites are also quite good. Cross-platform, supports Windows, Android, MacOS, iOS. There is synchronization via My Kaspersky account.

Umbra

Level 25
Verified
Might have missed something, but a free password manager? Seriously?
After all these scandals with free vpns, datamining etc? It's like saving your account information on a google doc and making it public...
This one should be pinned as best joke ever.
1- Ridiculous statement without any knowlegde of how things works...
2- Linux is free, so it is a big problem right? Wait wait...Air is free!!!! nooooooooooooooo i cant trust it!!!! i have to buy real oxygen in bottle to survive !!!!
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

ah old sage said "in the kingdom of blinds, the one-eye man is king."

notabot

Level 15
If you go for a free product, why not use the built-in password manager Chrome has?
It offers you the option to enrcypt your passwords with a passphrase, so Google cannot access them.

I use a paid password manager because I make use of the family features and some other bells and whistles but if I were to use a free one, I'd pick Chrome, it's a huge open source project that's scrutinized by security researchers, it has big corporation(s) backing it and gets frequent patches.

guarana

Being a main player Lastpass is the most targeted one, and sadly it's servers are breached way too many times to my taste.
And we only know the disclosed ones.

This argument means nothing, Windows is used by billions, still the most vulnerable OS.

Plenty lol, you are under-informed, I ditched Lastpass for bitwarden especially because of that.

There may have been some breaches, the one referenced in 2015 exposed the hashed master passwords only. The vaults were never exfiltrated (as far as it is known) and there were no cases known from users who were affected in a negative way by this. Plus the vendor informs very openly about any incidents.

Let's admit it, the service is convenient, quite secure and user-friendly. I recently suggested it to my father who used nothing before. Most of my friends, family and co-workers rely on their brain, re-use passwords or store them somewhere in plain text.

My conclusion: in general it is better than nothing, better than a paper note and better than most other hosted password managers. For everyone else and the paranoid ones of us, Bitwarden or Keepass is of course a even more secure way to go.

Umbra

Level 25
Verified
The vaults were never exfiltrated (as far as it is known) and there were no cases known from users who were affected in a negative way by this.
"as far as it is known" is the problem, plus this : PSA: LastPass Does Not Encrypt Everything In Your Vault
true or not, i don't let the chance to find it out.

Let's admit it, the service is convenient, quite secure and user-friendly.
sure but safety of my datas is what i expect in a cloud password manager.

My conclusion: in general it is better than nothing, better than a paper note and better than most other hosted password managers. For everyone else and the paranoid ones of us, Bitwarden or Keepass is of course a even more secure way to go.
Lastpass is better than nothing but you have as good or better than Lastpass. That is the point of the discussion.

fabiobr

Level 1
If you go for a free product, why not use the built-in password manager Chrome has?
It offers you the option to enrcypt your passwords with a passphrase, so Google cannot access them.

I use a paid password manager because I make use of the family features and some other bells and whistles but if I were to use a free one, I'd pick Chrome, it's a huge open source project that's scrutinized by security researchers, it has big corporation(s) backing it and gets frequent patches.
Where I create the passphrase? I searched, but didn't find anything.