Advice Request Free Upgrade Offer expires 29th July, No more GWX for Windows 7 and 8.1

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Have you taken the FREE UPGRADE to Windows 10?

• My OS isn't compatible for the Free Upgrade!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Blog: Windows 10 Now on 300 Million Active Devices – Free Upgrade Offer to End Soon

"Today, we want to remind you that if you haven’t taken advantage of the free upgrade offer, now is the time. The free upgrade offer to Windows 10 was a first for Microsoft, helping people upgrade faster than ever before.

And time is running out. The free upgrade offer will end on July 29 and we want to make sure you don’t miss out.

After July 29th, you’ll be able to continue to get Windows 10 on a new device, or purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119."

Top 10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10!

"Details are still being finalized, but on July 29th the Get Windows 10 app that facilitates the easy upgrade to Windows 10 will be disabled and eventually removed from PCs worldwide. Just as it took time to ramp up and roll out the Get Windows 10 app, it will take time to ramp it down."

Via: Microsoft to remove Get Windows 10 app from Windows 7/8.1 soon - MSPoweruser

Get Windows 10 - Download Now! | Upcoming Features coming to Windows 10!

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
As Shila Buff would say.. "JUST DO IT." Seriously its free and Windows 10 seems to have even better security than Win 7 and above. :)

Voted Yes. Improve security, speed, and multitasking Windows 10 is for me.

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
At least make a system backup just to upgrade and restore back to what you got, that way you can install Windows 10 if you like it better with the upcoming anniversary update.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Having the free upgrade make me lose my pro version of my window. :(
Yep, confirm that you won't lose Pro Status. Upgraded 2 online-bought ESD 8.1 Pro (my old PC now trashed, my Mum's laptop and the new bought one from 7 Pro OEM (pre-installed, not one Update performed, just thrown in DVD made out of an official ISO)). Activated all on their own in background.

Home worked flawlessly as well, even reinstalling a 10 by DVD (HUB Laptop).

Reactions: frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I managed to keep my PRO licence no problems here also for Windows 10 using the media creation tool.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm planning to have Windows Tablet however not on this month but rather next year, and Windows 10 proves to satisfied my experience.

Witness those cumulative updates to fix certain issues on my system.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
In January 2015, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be a free upgrade for the first year after its launch, for devices running Windows 7 and 8.1. The OS officially launched on July 29 last year, and with its first anniversary fast approaching, many have been wondering if the company might make the free upgrade a permanent offer.

Today, Microsoft answered that question [emphasis ours]:

The free upgrade offer to Windows 10 was a first for Microsoft, helping people upgrade faster than ever before. And time is running out. The free upgrade offer will end on July 29 and we want to make sure you don’t miss out.

With confirmation that the free upgrade offer will indeed end after its first year, that raises the question of how Windows 10 upgrades will be priced for those who miss out. Microsoft answered that one too:

After July 29th, you’ll be able to continue to get Windows 10 on a new device, or purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119.

It seems, then, that there will be no special 'upgrade' pricing for Windows 10 available after July 29, 2016; instead, those wishing to upgrade from earlier versions of the OS will have to purchase a full license.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You can upgrade after July 29 with a few steps done prior to the 29th since the upgrade license is an OEM tied to your PC
That is however if your still on the fence about using Windows 10 prior to the upgrade termination date.

Another interesting fact is that stats now show that Windows 10 is more successful than Windows 7
Stats Show Microsoft Finally Created an OS More Successful than Windows 7

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Ooh, the last time I heard that when you do the free upgrade it will only give you Windows 10 normal edition.

So is that any official statement? I understand that some of you do keep your license. :D

Many thanks.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Ooh, the last time I heard that when you do the free upgrade it will only give you Windows 10 normal edition.

So is that any official statement? I understand that some of you do keep your license. :D

Many thanks.
Here we go, please scroll down to 3/4 of the page, there's a table:
Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.