Fresh on the heels of Kaspersky ADOBANAL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
Very interesting!

I believe that Avast technology is quite decent, but I am beginning to have doubts about their business practices...

I guess the old saying about YOU being their product applies here...
Well put. I remember the days when we used to use scanning tools to remove software that did this kind of crap. Now we have one of, if not the single most used free AV doing it. How times change.

D

Deleted member 65228

Well put. I remember the days when we used to use scanning tools to remove software that did this kind of crap. Now we have one of, if not the single most used free AV doing it. How times change.
I think it was the plan of Avast all along.

1. Make a good AV
2. Make it "free"
3. Get millions of users
4. Sell data from both free and paid customers

= millions and millions of $

Evjl's Rain

Level 46
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain As a long time Avast! user what do you think about all of this in the OP?
I have no comment about it :LOL:
I know they collect a lot of data but I'm still amazed about the number of servers it connects to
I don't use Avast on my PC now due to bugs and bugs
but still continue to use and recommend it to other people in my country because all of them don't care and don't know about privacy + there is no better and lighter free AV after tweaking than avast, not even close
comodo is a good alternative but not suitable for average non-english speaking users

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
I have no comment about it :LOL:
I know they collect a lot of data but I'm still amazed about the number of servers it connects to
I don't use Avast on my PC now due to bugs and bugs
but still continue to use and recommend it to other people in my country because all of them don't care and don't know about privacy + there is no better and lighter free AV after tweaking than avast, not even close
comodo is a good alternative but not suitable for average non-english speaking users
I knew I would get a straight to the point answer from you, Thank you (y)

Evjl's Rain

Level 46
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I wonder how much telemetry left avast will send after we block avastui.exe and uncheck data sharing, optionally uncheck the community connection

blocking avastui.exe eliminates most ads and telemetry without decreasing protection capability

I almost always install avast and windows 10 without the internet, block all the telemetry possible with scripts and firewall and then enable the internet connection

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

User privacy wiļl be more invaded and collected, it'll get worse over time since companies can make billions by doing that without user intervention. Nothing will stop this business system, instead you can use AV's wich collects least data and care about privacy, Fortinet, Emsisoft, G Data, Bullguard. And if you can't spend e.g 30$+/- a year for a VPN/dedicated AV to protect ur families privacy online a bit more, you might as well are running illegal Windows and are deserved to be cashed in by companies. Accept it or not, but by using big companies free software, you are the product, especially in AV industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

blocking avastui.exe eliminates most ads and telemetry without decreasing protection capability
How many Avast free users know and actually do it? 0.1%? It's not efficient for regular PC user to install an AV and then block specific components of it in firewall just to not see ads/reduce telemetry. Like an installing Kaspersky and look for a cracked keys online, c'mon. People just have to accept reality that nothing comes free. What you say is workaround, but for you, not for other 99% users.

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
How many Avast free users know and actually do it? 0.1%? It's not efficient for regular PC user to install an AV and then block specific components of it in firewall just to not see ads/reduce telemetry. Like an installing Kaspersky and look for a cracked keys online, c'mon. People just have to accept reality that nothing comes free. What you say is workaround, but for you, not for other 99% users.
Same with Windows 10 'It's Free' But we're taking your data unless you know how to block us lol.

Evjl's Rain

Level 46
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
How many Avast free users know and actually do it? 0.1%? It's not efficient for regular PC user to install an AV and then block specific components of it in firewall just to not see ads/reduce telemetry. Like an installing Kaspersky and look for a cracked keys online, c'mon.
yes, I know it. 99.99% of the users don't do it
I wonder how we can mitigate as much telemetry as possible
I do know some tricks but not sure how effective they are
people caring about privacy have uninstalled avast already

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
yes, I know it. 99.99% of the users don't do it
I wonder how we can mitigate as much telemetry as possible
I do know some tricks but not sure how effective they are
people caring about privacy have uninstalled avast already
It might be a very good idea if we all contributed to a thread about Windows telemetry, Avast tracking and all the other products tracking us and combine and consolidate our knowledge on how to stop or at least minimize such telemetry/tracking. We could constantly update the thread. We're all more familiar with some products than others, so all the little tricks we know between us could make for a great knowledge base.

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
A qoute from a post on a thread over at the Avast! Forums. It seems Avast! Have really shot themselves in the foot and a LOT of users have had enough:

I've been using AVAST for many years now, but these ads are forcing me to bail out and find a new anti-virus.

I'm a retired 30 year veteran of IT and I help a lot of friends with their computers. I've always recommended AVAST. I'm going to suggest that they switch now too, because I'm getting a lot of calls when they're confused by these ads.

One of the reasons I, and those I support, moved to the paid Pro version was to eliminate these popup ads. I could forgive AVAST for them when I was on the free version, but now that I'm paying, and I unchecked the box allowing popups, I expect to have an ad-free experience.

Source

D

Deleted member 65228

That's pretty revolting.

Avast have started screwing themselves over because they were behaving like a wind-mill for power. The only difference is a wind-mill gets air and converts it into electricity (aka. power), whereas Avast had money which they'd turn into power. They went on a rampage buying out projects like AVG for billions and then CCleaner for an undisclosed price and obviously they've screwed up their financing because now they are doing UK investments (allegedly) to get themselves out of debt (?) and showing advertisements to paid Avast users... not to mention the pricing for their optimisation crap on Windows.

When it wind-mill stops getting air, it dies until the air comes back.

Everything good has an end eventually.

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
That's pretty revolting.

Avast have started screwing themselves over because they were behaving like a wind-mill for power. The only difference is a wind-mill gets air and converts it into electricity (aka. power), whereas Avast had money which they'd turn into power. They went on a rampage buying out projects like AVG for billions and then CCleaner for an undisclosed price and obviously they've screwed up their financing because now they are doing UK investments (allegedly) to get themselves out of debt (?) and showing advertisements to paid Avast users... not to mention the pricing for their optimisation crap on Windows.

When it wind-mill stops getting air, it dies until the air comes back.

Everything good has an end eventually.
Spot on @Opcode They're are definitely going to fall from a great height. And what makes it even worse for them is that it would be near enough impossible for them to bounce back from that because they sold their users out on the up and people remember crap like that. Thanks again for the excellent post.

_Vlk

Avast Developer
Aug 21, 2012
Hi guys,

Thanks for your interest. I'd like to bring to your attention this post over at Wilder's that I wrote about 1.5 years ago: Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG for $1.3BN

I hope it will help explain the whole situation. If you have any other concerns, please let me know.

I understand that with the recent Facebook revelations the sensitivity around this kind of things is currently pretty high (and I am generally in agreement with that). But in this particular case I don't really see anything to be concerned about.

Thanks,
Vlk

D

Deleted member 65228

Spot on @Opcode They're are definitely going to fall from a great height. And what makes it even worse for them is that it would be near enough impossible for them to bounce back from that because they sold their users out on the up and people remember crap like that. Thanks again for the excellent post.
G-DATA, BullGuard and Emsisoft are allegedly good with privacy, but I do not know to the extent of how good.

What are your thoughts on those three vendors in general though? Currently I am liking the direction G-DATA is going in.

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
G-DATA, BullGuard and Emsisoft are allegedly good with privacy, but I do not know to the extent of how good.

What are your thoughts on those three vendors in general though? Currently I am liking the direction G-DATA is going in.
I'm on the fence regarding G-DATA protection and resource usage wise. I don't like the 'Made in Germany' Thing. Germany activaly shares data with other countries, but like I say I'm on the fence with that one.

Bullgaurd seems ok although I've never used it long enough to judge.

Emsisoft, I think they're great privacy wise and do offer a decent levels of protection. However, I do think Emsisoft is extremely overrated protection wise. I see people talk about it like it's some kind of supper AV and the fact is that it's not and it's BB is good but so are other companies. I really like Emsisoft as a company and EAM is decent enough, but in my opinion it is both overrated and overpriced. Please note that is just my personal opinion. With that said, however, I would choose EAM out of the above 3 mentioned products.

Status
Not open for further replies.