Fresh on the heels of Kaspersky ADOBANAL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 65228

@ZeroDay

Honestly... Your thoughts match mine exactly.

Allegedly G-DATA is good with privacy but the "Made In Germany" thing doesn't cut with me like it used to, because you're right, Germany still share data with other countries or themselves when enforced to do so. Therefore by using a product relying on servers situated in Germany, you won't be making yourself invincible... Plus, it'd be on German territory, so a court order over there could enforce sharing of the data. It's all normal stuff though, it isn't bad about G-DATA, all vendors have to follow the law. As we already know there is never 100% privacy.

I've neither used BullGuard long enough to judge. They've changed massively compared to how they were 8 years ago I presume, and the last time I used it properly was... Around 8 years ago. I have absolutely no thoughts on them, but I have heard good from people I know.

Emsisoft... I used to like it a lot more than nowadays and that is primarily because of the changes Emsisoft underwent. I agree with you though, they do seem to be recommended QUITE a lot, or used to be at-least; it seems G-DATA has taken that recommendation place nowadays.

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
@ZeroDay

Honestly... Your thoughts match mine exactly.

Allegedly G-DATA is good with privacy but the "Made In Germany" thing doesn't cut with me like it used to, because you're right, Germany still share data with other countries or themselves when enforced to do so. Therefore by using a product relying on servers situated in Germany, you won't be making yourself invincible... Plus, it'd be on German territory, so a court order over there could enforce sharing of the data. It's all normal stuff though, it isn't bad about G-DATA, all vendors have to follow the law. As we already know there is never 100% privacy.

I've neither used BullGuard long enough to judge. They've changed massively compared to how they were 8 years ago I presume, and the last time I used it properly was... Around 8 years ago. I have absolutely no thoughts on them, but I have heard good from people I know.

Emsisoft... I used to like it a lot more than nowadays and that is primarily because of the changes Emsisoft underwent. I agree with you though, they do seem to be recommended QUITE a lot, or used to be at-least; it seems G-DATA has taken that recommendation place nowadays.
I think I might give Bullguard a fair try at some point I've also heard good things about it from people I know and respect. A friend of mine who owns a fairly large computer repair shop loves it.

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
Is their any source explaining their side of the story? I don't use it personally, but I don't want family members dealing with ads and unacceptable data collection in the pro version.
Hi guys,

Thanks for your interest. I'd like to bring to your attention this post over at Wilder's that I wrote about 1.5 years ago: Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG for $1.3BN

I hope it will help explain the whole situation. If you have any other concerns, please let me know.

I understand that with the recent Facebook revelations the sensitivity around this kind of things is currently pretty high (and I am generally in agreement with that). But in this particular case I don't really see anything to be concerned about.

Thanks,
Vlk

There is the above.

D

Deleted member 65228

Am I the only one here who read the Wilders Security post yesterday and then frowned immediately after?

If I was a premium user, advertisements wouldn't be in my best interest. Neither would my data being sent to an analytics company when it has nothing to do with providing me enhanced protection. It's a bit different because the data is used for third-parties to learn as well, third-parties who have nothing to do with my protection. If I was a premium user, I wouldn't want my data being used to generate more profit as well. If I wanted my data to be sold I'd sell it myself.

I think it should be completely opt-in at-least by default for a premium customer... Assuming you can even disable it without reducing protection.

That's my view of it though, most Avast users probably couldn't care less. I don't use them so it doesn't matter to me anyway.

Avast will probably still be my #1 recommendation for someone after a Free AV regardless because their technology definitely is great and has huge potential though. I can't really think of another "free" product which offers as much as they do protection-wise.

oldschool

Level 61
Verified
Mar 29, 2018
It might be a very good idea if we all contributed to a thread about Windows telemetry, Avast tracking and all the other products tracking us and combine and consolidate our knowledge on how to stop or at least minimize such telemetry/tracking. We could constantly update the thread. We're all more familiar with some products than others, so all the little tricks we know between us could make for a great knowledge base.

It would be much appreciated by those of us with an interest but without the technical skill.

hmm,I have nothing to said!
just you can find "free cheese" in "trap"....

Very funny. I say nothing like a good dose of laughter..... ....as your throat is being slit!

Reactions: ZeroDay

Flak

Level 1
Oct 19, 2013
For desktops, just don't install the Avast browser addon and also uncheck the data sharing option in Avast itself... I don't use the addons and was not seeing half the traffic listed in the OP. But unchecking data sharing killed off most of the extra traffic coming from Avast.

"Users can remove themselves from the system in two ways – by unchecking the “Statistics“ box in the Avast browser add-on settings (see attached picture), or by sending an email to customer support requesting to have their information deleted. If a user wants to be deleted, the system automatically blacklists their user ID from all data transforming activities. "

Flak

Level 1
Oct 19, 2013
When it comes to mobile devices, I think we're all kidding ourselves if we believe there is any real semblance of privacy.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Sep 3, 2017
The thing is it is the same for any free softwares. Avast at least tells the same in before hand
Don't you think how a company survives selling freemium all the day >> Google how it survives??
It sells users history to generate revenue..I dont think Avast degraded to that extent (in my opinion)
Knowing that Avast sells users history using it knowing all these facts and blaming it again for the same..is senseless .
Google is the biggest Spyware and Password stealer in the entire industry..These small guys are no where to them.
If you are concerned that much choose PREMIUM softwares over Freemium to be secure (Atleast to some extent)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Content Creator
Jul 13, 2014
It's sad to see such capable products, provided by Avast, to harvest so much data. It's perfectly normal some amount of telemetry to be shared and transfered, to improve the product and fix problems.

But harvesting so much user's data by a security company, tracking almost everything they can, and saying that they use those infos for research and insights to better protect their users, it's contradiction. And above all, they provide a VPN and also an Anti-tracking tool. Avast...seriously!:X3:

Status
Not open for further replies.