Fresh on the heels of Kaspersky ADOBANAL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
The thing is it is the same for any free softwares. Avast at least tells the same in before hand
Don't you think how a company survives selling freemium all the day >> Google how it survives??
It sells users history to generate revenue..I dont think Avast degraded to that extent (in my opinion)
Knowing that Avast sells users history using it knowing all these facts and blaming it again for the same..is senseless .
Google is the biggest Spyware and Password stealer in the entire industry..These small guys are no where to them.
If you are concerned that much choose PREMIUM softwares over Freemium to be secure (Atleast to some extent)
We're all aware of which companies track us. Avast do it to their paid users to. And, If you buy Avast av pro now, as soon as you install it you''ll be getting ad's to upgrade and guess what? When you upgrade to internet security they'll still show ad's for their next level products and they'll still gather data. We all know Google and MS do it and, yes MS have an AV too. But, for me personally a security company tracking its users and harvesting data to that level is wrong. I remember the days when we used to remove popup ads and software that tracked users and harvested data was removed. I'm using Win 10 right this second but every machine in my home is now running a version of GNU/Linux. We can't stop date collecting and said data being sold, but we can definitely minimize it. And we should never have to go out of our way to stop our security software from tracking us, harvesting our data and then running studies on said data.

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
It's sad to see such capable products, provided by Avast, to harvest so much data. It's perfectly normal some amount of telemetry to be shared and transfered, to improve the product and fix problems.

But harvesting so much user's data by a security company, tracking almost everything they can, and saying that they use those infos for research and insights to better protect their users, it's contradiction. And above all, they provide a VPN and also an Anti-tracking tool. Avast...seriously!:X3:
Very well said.

D

Deleted member 65228

Whenever you bring up data collection you get told a 100 times that "every other company does it". And? It doesn't mean it is right or very nice for the customer. And it neither excuses bad telemetry practices or the behavior of the vendor in discussion.

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
I use the internet security since 6 weeks. Haven't seen any ads yet
I hope they've stopped doing it to paid users but I won't hold my breath. What's really concerning is that more and more security companies are starting to think showing ads in paid products and collecting user data that has nothing to do with improving the product is ok. God help the next few generations.

D

Deleted member 65228

I hope they've stopped doing it to paid users but I won't hold my breath. What's really concerning is that more and more security companies are starting to think showing ads in paid products and collecting user data that has nothing to do with improving the product is ok. God help the next few generations.
Exactly!

The more people say "I have nothing to hide" or "I don't care", the more these companies think to themselves that it is okay for them to do what they are doing.

"CEO: Alright boys and girls, let's turn ourselves into the C.I.A. This has to be a quick, clean and stealth transition.
Employee: But sir we are an AV company...
CEO: Exactly. People trust us.

100% privacy doesn't exist but that doesn't mean there aren't companies which will actually try to respect your privacy and are a lot quieter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: upnorth and ZeroDay
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

100% privacy doesn't exist but that doesn't mean there aren't companies which will actually try to respect your privacy and are a lot quieter.
I find those AV companies who participate in less independent AV lab tests are respecting more user privacy.

Reactions: ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Aug 17, 2013
Exactly!

The more people say "I have nothing to hide" or "I don't care", the more these companies think to themselves that it is okay for them to do what they are doing.

"CEO: Alright boys and girls, let's turn ourselves into the C.I.A. This has to be a quick, clean and stealth transition.
Employee: But sir we are an AV company...
CEO: Exactly. People trust us.

(y)(y)(y)

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I really hate security products who force you upon installing, to "upgrade" and redirecting user to purchase page, showing mystical discount ads suddenly. I can't recall, but there were few AV vendors, at a time you were unstalling that product, it shows ads to stay with them, giving 50% discount, Vipre, McAfee or ZoneAlarm was it? Don't remember though.. :unsure: Almost like begging, to get into users wallet. And same for Avast IS, that you can get free 1/2/3 year subscription based on how many refferals you've gotten to join Avast cult. :confused: Also for those who re-think at uninstallation and may purchase at discounted price, after adding a credit card, it gets saved to their system and automatically renews when product subscription is about to end. I know that Norton and McAfee are pros at renewing home consumer products when subscription is still active and hasn't ended yet, but that's also buyers stupidity for not checking twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 65228

I really hate security products who force you upon installing, to "upgrade" and redirecting user to purchase page, showing mystical discount ads suddenly. I can't recall, but there were few AV vendors, at a time you were unstalling that product, it shows ads to stay with them, giving 50% discount, Vipre, McAfee or ZoneAlarm was it? Don't remember though.. :unsure: Almost like begging, to get into users wallet. And same for Avast IS, that you can get free 1/2/3 year subscription based on how many refferals you've gotten to join Avast cult. :confused:
I am 100% certain that Avast did this at one point, they probably still do.

It irritates the hell out of me as well. If I didn't want to leave, I wouldn't have ran the damn Uninstaller.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

People were confused a while back why did Avast bought out Piriform, it was a strategic step, that way you can easily push Avast to even more userbase around globe, knowing how many use CCleaner. If CCleaner is installed about 23 million times per month, imagine the number of Avast userbase growing, while sneakily installing it together with CCleaner.. I am sure the money they paid for Piriform have already paid off by 100% or more. I don't even wanna know exact numbers, it's just disgusting. About what security you even talk? :confused:
ccleaner-avast-adware.png

D

Deleted member 65228

@davisd I liked CCleaner a lot before Avast acquired it.

However the fact that **Avast** own it now is really not appeasing and put me completely off CCleaner. Even though I did not use it in the recent years, I never will now that Avast own it... ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.