Fresh on the heels of Kaspersky ADOBANAL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 65228

In other words, Avast nag novice and elderly customers who are **already paying** to give them their wallet and upgrade to a more expensive plan through advertisements?

Since we all know that unless you are an advanced user, or your system is being managed by someone who knows what they are doing, you are not going to go through all of those Settings without fear of "breaking your computer". A novice user is likely to not even be aware of advertisement disabling settings.

In my opinion, the advertisements would be fine as long as it was only enabled by default for a free non-paying customer, but disabled by default for any paying customer.

I don't recall of any service other than Avast off the top of my head showing people advertisements by default after they are already a premium customer, it sounds a bit desperate if I am honest.

Reactions: ZeroDay and upnorth

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Content Creator
Jul 13, 2014
In other words, Avast nag novice and elderly customers who are **already paying** to give them their wallet and upgrade to a more expensive plan through advertisements?

Since we all know that unless you are an advanced user, or your system is being managed by someone who knows what they are doing, you are not going to go through all of those Settings without fear of "breaking your computer". A novice user is likely to not even be aware of advertisement disabling settings.

In my opinion, the advertisements would be fine as long as it was only enabled by default for a free non-paying customer, but disabled by default for any paying customer.

I don't recall of any service other than Avast off the top of my head showing people advertisements by default after they are already a premium customer, it sounds a bit desperate if I am honest.
You have a point on that.I've seen a lot of novice users as you said who are unaware about these settings. They don't even know about the PUP detection setting, which is turned off by default.

D

Deleted member 65228

You have a point on that.I've seen a lot of novice users as you said who are unaware about these settings. They don't even know about the PUP detection setting, which is turned off by default.
I do understand why... In-case someone out there is actually using software which is being labelled as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) because it violated the vendors guidelines to result in it being marked as one, the customer might get irritated with Avast flagging objects from the installed software package. But would it not be a lot better for user-experience and protection to just Ask the user if they wish to disable it on the Avast window after installation, for a majority?

At-least then it will be easier for a novice/elderly customer to provide a proper response and thus lead to better user-experience and protection instead of having to hunt down hidden settings they are never going to go looking for in the first place.

Of course it is all opinionated, maybe Jumpshot concluded that more people would rather have a hidden setting. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 65228

@davisd Look at this one...

AnXWr3b.png

Source: RoboMan

mekelek

Level 28
Feb 24, 2017

let's just say this is a trending thing
my paid licensed Bitdefender mobile kept having notifications about their new VPN.
that i had no intention to use it at all, but it's burnt into it....

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I believe the only effective way how to use Avast Free is by how @Evjl's Rain have configured it. No questions that you can tweak it to Max, block Ads in Firewall, and set it even as Anti-exe, and it's probably one of the best free AV's you can get once you understand what options to change, the only thing I am worried about is other 95% poor souls installing and leaving as it is and Avast is greatly cashing in on them, and it's not like you would expect a top class almost bug-free product like Kaspersky. Every new upgrade of Avast is a bugfest, they keep adding useless features without fixing existing ones and invests money in buying companies with whom to increase userbase, not focus on improving or adding new malware detection modules, damn I don't understand them..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.