Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Today, FUJIFILM announced that their Tokyo headquarters suffered a cyberattack Tuesday night that they indicate is a ransomware attack.

"FUJIFILM Corporation is currently carrying out an investigation into possible unauthorized access to its server from outside of the company. As part of this investigation, the network is partially shut down and disconnected from external correspondence," FUJIFILM said in a statement.

"We want to state what we understand as of now and the measures that the company has taken. In the late evening of June 1, 2021, we became aware of the possibility of a ransomware attack. As a result, we have taken measures to suspend all affected systems in coordination with our various global entities."

"We are currently working to determine the extent and the scale of the issue. We sincerely apologize to our customers and business partners for the inconvenience this has caused."

Due to the partial network outage, FUJIFILM USA has added an alert to the top of their website stating that they are experiencing network problems that are impacting their email and phone systems.
Alert about cyberattack on FujiFilm USA website

Alert about cyberattack on FUJIFILM USA website

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Japan is really behind in the IT field. We should improve ourselves by adding security events to the Olympics.🗾
That is really interesting... good to know, thank you @show-Zi !

For some odd reason I was always under the impression that Japan was always ahead of the curve when it came to tech.

In fact, I thought I remember reading something about FUJIFILM about 6-12 months ago where they were pivoting to cybersecurity or something, kind of like Blackberry. Maybe I will look it up at some point if I have time, unless someone happens to know off the top of their head.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Today, Fujifilm has released an updated statement that officially confirms that the attack was caused by ransomware deployed on the night of June 1st, 2021.
  • We confirmed that the unauthorized access we recognized on the night of June 1, 2021 was ransomware.
  • We have confirmed that the scope of impact is limited to specific networks in the country.
  • Since the range has been identified, from today, we are proceeding with the operation of servers and personal computers that have been confirmed to be safe, and the networks that were blocked are also starting communication in sequence.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
That is really interesting... good to know, thank you @show-Zi !

For some odd reason I was always under the impression that Japan was always ahead of the curve when it came to tech.

In fact, I thought I remember reading something about FUJIFILM about 6-12 months ago where they were pivoting to cybersecurity or something, kind of like Blackberry. Maybe I will look it up at some point if I have time, unless someone happens to know off the top of their head.
Excellent human resources and technologies exist but cannot be utilized. Perhaps the Japanese environment is such a situation. Telework is not widespread because it is impossible to break away from old customs.

I hope it helps you with the information you are looking for.:)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
In fact, I thought I remember reading something about FUJIFILM about 6-12 months ago where they were pivoting to cybersecurity..
At risk of going off topic slightly I'll respond on the Japanese tech point you made.

About 3 years ago some friends got a new broadband deal here in the UK through the Post Office. They were providing with a free AV as part of the deal, it was branded under Fujitsu's name. I'd never seen any cybersecurity products offered to the public by Fujitsu before. I can't recall the actual name the AV suite had, it seemed like it had been cobbled together from various sources and was not very good. I told my friends not to rely on it. A year or so later they were offered a new broadband deal and asked me what I thought of the new AV provided that was bundled into the deal - F-Secure. I told them that this was different class and that they should use it. I think this is a similar bundling promotion of F-Secure's SAFE as to that some of our Dutch MT friends have mentioned getting through their ISP.

The UK Post Office had another IT deal with Fujitsu for its Horizon software that managed the accounting processes in post offices. The software malfunctioned repeatedly and numerous postmasters were jailed for fraud, wrongly.

I'd also been under the impression that Japan was usually ahead of the curve in tech. I'm a long-time user of high-end Canon cameras, my partner favours Nikon. We had been long time fans of Fuji films, particularly for the way they render greens and blues for outdoor photography, before we converted over to digital, though we both use film occasionally to keep us honest, digital encourages cheating! I've got a fantastic old pair of Pentax binoculars that were a grandfather's.

I guess its like in some other countries where they excell more in some tech fields than others.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
At risk of going off topic slightly I'll respond on the Japanese tech point you made.

About 3 years ago some friends got a new broadband deal here in the UK through the Post Office. They were providing with a free AV as part of the deal, it was branded under Fujitsu's name. I'd never seen any cybersecurity products offered to the public by Fujitsu before. I can't recall the actual name the AV suite had, it seemed like it had been cobbled together from various sources and was not very good. I told my friends not to rely on it. A year or so later they were offered a new broadband deal and asked me what I thought of the new AV provided that was bundled into the deal - F-Secure. I told them that this was different class and that they should use it. I think this is a similar bundling promotion of F-Secure's SAFE as to that some of our Dutch MT friends have mentioned getting through their ISP.

The UK Post Office had another IT deal with Fujitsu for its Horizon software that managed the accounting processes in post offices. The software malfunctioned repeatedly and numerous postmasters were jailed for fraud, wrongly.

I'd also been under the impression that Japan was usually ahead of the curve in tech. I'm a long-time user of high-end Canon cameras, my partner favours Nikon. We had been long time fans of Fuji films, particularly for the way they render greens and blues for outdoor photography, before we converted over to digital, though we both use film occasionally to keep us honest, digital encourages cheating! I've got a fantastic old pair of Pentax binoculars that were a grandfather's.

I guess its like in some other countries where they excell more in some tech fields than others.
Fujitsu's information sharing tool has also been invaded.

Thank you for evaluating Japanese technology. Certainly, I think Japan has excellent technology in terms of quality that requires accuracy. Surprisingly, in Japan, a company famous for its completely different products has a global share of bicycle parts. Sunstar, which supplies gears, is well known in Japan for its toothpaste and oral care products, and Shimano, which supplies brakes, is well known as a fishing gear maker.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Fujifilm resumes normal operations after ransomware attack​

"After that, from June 4th, we started operating servers and computers that were confirmed to be safe, and resumed communication on the network that had been blocked," Fujifilm said in a statement issued earlier today.

"We are pleased to inform you that by today, normal operations for customers and business partners, such as reception of inquiries and orders and shipments of our products, have been restored."

Although in most ransomware attacks, the threat actors are also exfiltrating data before encrypting the victims' systems, Fujifilm stated that the "investigations completed so far have found no evidence of information leakage to the outside world."

"In addition, countermeasures against this unauthorized access have already been implemented. We will continue to monitor and continue to strengthen information security," Fujifilm added.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.