Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
G7 (Group of 7) leaders have asked Russia to urgently disrupt ransomware gangs believed to be operating within its borders, following a stream of attacks targeting organizations from critical sectors worldwide.

The G7 member states also expressed their commitment to work together to address the escalating and immediate ransomware threat as a global challenge.

"We call on all states to urgently identify and disrupt ransomware criminal networks operating from within their borders, and hold those networks accountable for their actions," the G7 leaders (from the UK, USA, Canada, Japan, Germany, France, and Italy, plus the EU) said at the G7 Cornwall Summit.

"In particular, we call on Russia [..] to identify, disrupt, and hold to account those within its borders who conduct ransomware attacks, abuse virtual currency to launder ransoms, and other cybercrime."

This call to action comes after the White House National Security Council's chief cybersecurity adviser Anne Neuberger urged business leaders and corporate executives in early June to take ransomware attacks seriously. White House's public letter followed several attacks coordinated by ransomware gangs believed to be Russian-based.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The level of ignorance of how malware attacks work displayed by this statement is breathtaking (but at least not as farcical as "We got most of the ransom back" release).

Much better would be a statement on the benefits of Privileged Access Management.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
As usual, one is not taking a closer and more unforgiving look at how the so-called "victims" conduct their day-to-day business. Just saw yet another attack on AmeriGas published via BleepingComputer. This is getting monotonous, we're looking more and more incompetent here despite the speeches and empty words.

Priorities are messed up here--start quite a bit closer to home instead.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
The level of ignorance of how malware attacks work displayed by this statement is breathtaking (but at least not as farcical as "We got most of the ransom back" release).

Much better would be a statement on the benefits of Privileged Access Management.
Totally agree... that was my reaction to the "We got most of the ransom back" release.

PAM is cool, but it is not exactly easy to deploy or maintain, is probably quite easy to bypass (depending on a lot of things), and there are better solutions. The old adage "use the right tool for the job" applies here.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
As usual, one is not taking a closer and more unforgiving look at how the so-called "victims" conduct their day-to-day business. Just saw yet another attack on AmeriGas published via BleepingComputer. This is getting monotonous, we're looking more and more incompetent here despite the speeches and empty words.

Priorities are messed up here--start quite a bit closer to home instead.
I totally understand what you mean by "victims", simply because I am tired of complacent and/or incompetent people making bad decisions.

But in all fairness, when you are using a cybersecurity product that confirms and reminds you that "You are protected!", when you really are not, well, we get what we have here today ;).

This is no surprise to me. Years ago clients used to look me straight in the eye and ask "I have antivirus software, how did I get infected?" I have been asked that question hundreds of times.

This truly is getting monotonous... I cannot even stand watching the news anymore.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.