Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have been trying out Avira Pro on one of my PC's, and noticed that every time that I disable Game Mode, because for me it is unnecessary, Avira reactivates it: "Game, or silent, mode suspend scans and notifications while you play games or watch movies online, so you’re not interrupted and don’t experience any computer slowdown."

I think this creates an unnecessary problem if it suspends scans and notifications unless one is playing games because frankly, that is what I am using Avira for, to be notified in the event of malware. I also do not want to have to disable it manually each time, and what if I forget, and fail to be be notified of an issue? Not a good idea.

I cannot find any option to permanently disable or remove this module in the installation settings.

If this cannot be disabled, I think my trial of Avira may be over, and its time to move on.

Have I missed something regarding this feature? Thanks.

Reactions: Syafiq

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
I have been trying out Avira Pro on one of my PC's, and noticed that every time that I disable Game Mode, because for me it is unnecessary, Avira reactivates it: "Game, or silent, mode suspend scans and notifications while you play games or watch movies online, so you’re not interrupted and don’t experience any computer slowdown."

I think this creates an unnecessary problem if it suspends scans and notifications unless one is playing games because frankly, that is what I am using Avira for, to be notified in the event of malware. I also do not want to have to disable it manually each time, and what if I forget, and fail to be be notified of an issue? Not a good idea.

I cannot find any option to permanently disable or remove this module in the installation settings.

If this cannot be disabled, I think my trial of Avira may be over, and its time to move on.

Have I missed something regarding this feature? Thanks.
It's not a problem, I think Avira will only enter the game mode and disable the scheduled tasks(such as update or scan) if you're playing a game or running on full screen mode. Just leave the game mode enabled. If you're unsure you can test it with an Eicar Test File. You will be notified that avira was blocked a threat. Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
It's not a problem, I think Avira will only enter the game mode and disable the scheduled tasks(such as update or scan) if you're playing a game or running on full screen mode. Just leave the game mode enabled. If you're unsure you can test it with an Eicar Test File. You will be notified that avira was blocked a threat. Hope it helps :)

I just found this explanation on the Avira Blog: Avira Antivirus: Game Mode explained - Avira Blog

It states that to receive full protection remember to disable the game mode. This is now a deal breaker for me, and just goes to what I stated earlier about being notified "in the event" and "not having to remember to disable".

Great product but some quirky features. For some who game this is definitely the AV solution but unfortunately with the Game Mode disablement option lacking, not for me.

MWTHelper

From Avira
Verified
Developer
Oct 27, 2016
Hello SearchLight,

you can disable the Game Mode of Avira Antivirus Pro in the Control Center.
And of course, security is our top priority. This means you are not less protected with the game mode. The game mode just avoids popups in case of a malware detection. In such a case, the malware is automatically blocked and can not cause any damage on your system, while you can still play your game without any interruption. The blog article you mentioned states that you should disable Game Mode after your gaming session "to switch on again the full capacities". This just means that you only have with a disabled Game Mode the free choice of what shall happen when a virus is detected.
So you have essentially the choice:
- Enable Game Mode and do not get interrupted by a malware detection (While you are still protected)
- Disable Game Mode and get an information in case of a malware detection
Unfortunately, we cannot inform you about a malware detection and do not disturb you in your game ;-)
It is your choice if you prefer to play your game or if you want to have always all information. In case e.g. you are streaming your game and you definitely want to win, you should enable Game mode. When you always want to have full control and can afford to loose a game (e.g. offline game with frequently autosaves) you can disable Game Mode. It is up to you. In both cases you stay protected. I hope this information helped you further :)

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Hello SearchLight,

you can disable the Game Mode of Avira Antivirus Pro in the Control Center.
And of course, security is our top priority. This means you are not less protected with the game mode. The game mode just avoids popups in case of a malware detection. In such a case, the malware is automatically blocked and can not cause any damage on your system, while you can still play your game without any interruption. The blog article you mentioned states that you should disable Game Mode after your gaming session "to switch on again the full capacities". This just means that you only have with a disabled Game Mode the free choice of what shall happen when a virus is detected.
So you have essentially the choice:
- Enable Game Mode and do not get interrupted by a malware detection (While you are still protected)
- Disable Game Mode and get an information in case of a malware detection
Unfortunately, we cannot inform you about a malware detection and do not disturb you in your game ;-)
It is your choice if you prefer to play your game or if you want to have always all information. In case e.g. you are streaming your game and you definitely want to win, you should enable Game mode. When you always want to have full control and can afford to loose a game (e.g. offline game with frequently autosaves) you can disable Game Mode. It is up to you. In both cases you stay protected. I hope this information helped you further :)

What you are missing is that I do not game, and want to have full time alerts upon detection. Your program does not allow Game Mode to be permanently disabled. Upon manual deactivation, it will be re-enabled automatically by the program upon start up after my pc is shut down. Being reassured that I am protected is not the same as visual confirmation, and having to remember to always manually disable game mode to insure full time notifications is not a good feature. Your competitors do allow this option so I hope it is something that you might consider for a future program update.

MWTHelper

From Avira
Verified
Developer
Oct 27, 2016
Hi,

thank you very much for your feedback. We always welcome open and constructive feedback. I will forward it to the responsible department.

Reactions: Xsjx
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.