Game not Real War

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Game not Real War topic for you, gamer ..

Call of Apathy: Violent Young Men and Our Place in War: on mediumdifficulty.com: http://www.mediumdifficulty.com/2012/03/01/call-of-apathy-violent-young-men-and-our-place-in-war/

QUOTE:
'I am a private military contractor, and I have an issue with the depiction of war in videogames — or more specifically, the soldiers in those games.

When I say soldier, let me be clear that I am talking about the Infantryman and the Special Forces operator, as I have next to no knowledge about anything outside of this relatively small percentile of service personnel.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of games featuring the military focus on these frontline combat troops in “realistic” action. And that’s where we get problems.' ..

.. 'Only a violent sociopath would play this game.' ..

'Good enough for entertainment, but should war be sterilised and glorified in this way? Here is the crux of my beef with the military videogame genre:

None of the stereotypes exist. They are put in place by a media and a military that hates the wars we fight but loves the men fighting in them.' ..

.. 'Next time you watch a military documentary, ask yourself why only 3 or 4 men are ever interviewed from a unit.' ..

.. 'It’s because the vast majority of us are straight up sociopaths.' ..

.. 'I’ll say it again. Heroes in a frontline combat context do not exist.

Here is a real scenario that should be put into a game ..'

Game is not Real War.
Look too on more than 244 comments, please ..

- and get your own here ..

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Why Videogames are not Real War: on gamepolitics.com: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/10/11/why-videogames-are-not-real-war

QUOTE:
'Playing and risking your life are different things. In the video war, there may be some manipulation of anxiety, some adrenaline to the heart, but absolutely nothing is at stake.'

A Real War Game of Headless Chicken by Jack D. Douglas; on LewRockwell.com: http://lewrockwell.com/douglas/douglas48.1.html

QUOTE:
'Needless to say. this is a very dangerous game unless both – or all – the participants are "wimps" willing to veer off early and avoid sudden death by choice or, far more likely, by accident – misjudging the distance it takes to turn away, losing brakes, etc.

The use of the term in other realms such as strategic analysis of conflicts between enemy nations is obvious. The actual practice is probably very rare except in some arms build-ups and war-mongering, jingoistic battles of taunts which make it harder and harder to turn away because more and more "face" is lost.

But we seem to be seeing an incredible instance of a three way "Game Of Headless Chicken" between the U.S. and Israel and Iran.' ..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.