Microsoft OneNote
Cloud storage
Microsoft OneDrive
Games
None
Android launcher
Microsoft Launcher
File and Photo backup
Apps and settings automatically on Google One.
Photos automatically on Microsoft OneDrive
Active subscriptions
    • Microsoft 365 Family 6TB
Notable changes
2022.01.01 new config for the new year
2022.04.09 got a new mobile phone
2022.05.31 installed Opera browser app
2022.07.18 back to Chrome and switched from Samsung to Google phone
2022.07.26 got the update to Android 12, enabled OneDrive and back to MS Edge
2022.09.18 up to date with the latest changes in this form
2023.05.19 changed from Microsoft launcher to Samsung One UI
2023.07.05 bought a Samsung A34
2024.02.02 activated Samsung Auto Blocker
2024.04.20 got the April 1 Android security patch
What I'm looking for?

Looking for minimum feedback.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Gandalf,

I'm confused about Android stuff, but I read your config as having your latest OS security update on 1 Oct 2022?

Surely not... sometimes I get two a week from Apple.

This must be a typo...
Unfortunately it is not a typo.
The Samsung Galaxy A02s (from my employer) is on Biannual Security Updates:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Well, cutoff me legs and call me shorty! That is the dumbest company security policy I have ever heard.

Your employer doesn't 'Dept...' in its name does it? OMG.
Unlike Apple, only unlocked Pixels and Flagships less than 3 years old are guaranteed to have the latest updates for the OS, security patches and Google (Play) system updates.

Example: If an unlocked Android phone launches with Android 13 - users will receive all remaining updates for 13, Android 14, and finally Android 15 with updates. But no Android 16, unless the phone manufacturer says so. Carrier-locked phones may get less frequent updates due to longer testing.

It’s why you see a cutoff point on security patch levels for older Android devices.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Example: If an unlocked Android phone launches with Android 13 - users will receive all remaining updates for 13, Android 14, and finally Android 15 with updates. But no Android 16, unless the phone manufacturer says so. Carrier-locked phones may get less frequent updates due to longer testing.
Yep, not too long ago Samsung promised 4 major updates and one year of biannual security updates.
That’s only for the latest flagships, for budget phones every update is a gift and a reason to be happy.

The situation has still improved a lot from years ago when even flagships would barely get any updates. If you are using flagship device Apple has no edge (hence they rushed to announce the Security Response updates) over Android.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Well, cutoff me legs and call me shorty! That is the dumbest company security policy I have ever heard.

Your employer doesn't 'Dept...' in its name does it? OMG.
Samsung a series got monthly security updates lately and samsung having longest update policy 5+4 years is more than most other vendors offer...its not dumb that they are getting better little by little

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Samsung a series got monthly security updates lately and samsung having longest update policy 5+4 years is more than most other vendors offer...its not dumb that they are getting better little by little
Samsung also pushes a lot of new features and changes with every update. They are amongst the first to release new Androids circa October-November (previous gen flagship) whereas others wait to January-February or even longer. Samsung offers 1 major update around the time I mentioned above and few months later, around the release of foldables, it offers one more OneUI update.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
...If you are using flagship device Apple has no edge (hence they rushed to announce the Security Response updates) over Android...

Apple don't discriminate flagship and non devices. If its Apple you get it! From my original 3Gs til now, security updates are provided ASAP for all devices, automatically, not by some manufacturer/telco/provider lottery.

Samsung's update schedule may well be improving, but, in today's scumbag dense environment, its not a patch on Apple's.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022

Policy vs reality would be an interesting project. But, even with a 9 year policy, its only 18 updates based on a schedule. I've probably had that many this year alone based on need.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Apple don't discriminate flagship and non devices. If its Apple you get it! From my original 3Gs til now, security updates are provided ASAP for all devices, automatically, not by some manufacturer/telco/provider lottery.

Samsung's update schedule may well be improving, but, in today's scumbag dense environment, its not a patch on Apple's.
Yeah, you are right. Telcos here in the UK at least (I cannot comment other countries) delay updates as follows:
EE - ~1 day
Vodafone, O2 - ~2 days
Three - ~3 days
Samsung so far does a good job pushing the monthly updates even on non-flagships. Apart from Pixel (obviously), I don’t think anybody else delivers them so quick. On Apple also updates are released in a phased manner if user doesn’t check for them manually. It may be a week or 2 before an update is installed everywhere. I am excluding Security Response from that, so far they’ve pushed only one.
Samsung also has their proprietary Knox platform that provides additional security even when OS is not really up-to-date. All in all, until Fuchsia (if ever) is released, it won’t get better than that.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Bought a Samsung A34 and a SIM card.
I have now 2 SIM cards in that phone.
1 personal and 1 from my employer.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
The long update period is also a strong selling point of the Galaxy A34 5G. Four OS upgrades and 5 years of security updates are by no means usual in this price range. If you take Samsung at its word, Android 17 should also be able run on the smartphone. The Galaxy A34 5G is also popular for its decent camera, which takes very nice pictures in daylight.

Thats why i switched from iPhone ( always the same and nothing new ) to the Samsung Galaxy A34 5G
I am not missing my iPhone one second.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Samsung also pushes a lot of new features and changes with every update. They are amongst the first to release new Androids circa October-November (previous gen flagship) whereas others wait to January-February or even longer. Samsung offers 1 major update around the time I mentioned above and few months later, around the release of foldables, it offers one more OneUI update.
True with the restriction that model has to sell well. My previous A70 should have quarterly updates the first year and in the second and third-year 6 months updates. After 9 months I read that because of low sales numbers, this was reduced to bi-annual updates.

Most Android brands do louse in regard to security updates, Samsung is a raven with white feathers in that respect. That is why I bought an A53 when my A70 died. The A53 should get same update schedule as flagships for at least first three years (and I am getting regular updates). The last two year updates cycle depends on sales success also. (link) Samsung Mobile Security

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Refreshed my config for 2024.

Got Android 14 and activated Samsung Auto Blocker.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.