64-bit operating system; x64-based processor
    Security Updates
    Automatic Updates (recommended)
    User Access Control
    Always Notify
    Network Security (Firewall)
    Windows Defender Firewall
    Device Security
  • Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
  • User Account
    Administrator
    Sign-in Accounts
    Microsoft (@outlook.com)
    Sign-in Options
  • Password
  • Windows Hello PIN (recommended)
  • Windows Hello Fingerprint
  • Malware Testing
    I do not participate in downloading malware samples
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    Windows Defender and Hard_Configurator beta ver. 4.1.1.1
    RTP - Custom security settings
  • Major changes for Increased security
  • RTP - Details of Custom security settings
    Removed Internet Explorer 11.
    Hard_Configurator Beta 4.1.1.1 with Windows 10 Recommended Enhanced profile.
    ConfigureDefender 2.0.1.0 at High protection level.
    FirewallHardening 1.0.1.0 added Recommended H_C.
    Exploit Protection for Edge Dev (App & Browser Control of Windows Defender).

I enabled Windows Defender Sandbox by running:
    Code:
    setx /M MP_FORCE_USE_SANDBOX 1
    Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    HitmanPro, Zemana AntiMalware and AdwCleaner (for the kids)
    Browsers and Extensions
    Microsoft Edge Dev with uBlock Origin, Bitdefender TrafficLight and Bitwarden
    Google Chrome with uBlock Origin, Bitdefender TrafficLight and Bitwarden
    Privacy-focused Apps and Extensions
    uBlock 0rigin in Medium mode for Lighter and Stronger Protection, with Less websites breakage and hassle:
    Discuss - uBlock0rigin in Medium mode for Lighter and Stronger Protection, with Less websites breakage and hassle
    Password Managers
  • Bitwarden
  • Web Search
  • Google
  • System Utilities
    O&O ShutUp10, Patch My PC, Autoruns, CCleaner Pro, HDCleaner and Disk Cleanup
    Data Backup
    OneDrive, File History
    Frequency of Data backups
    Always-on Sync
    System Backup
    Windows system image
    Frequency of System backups
    Occasionally
    Computer Activity
  • Online banking
  • Browsing web and email
  • Watch movies and other entertainment content on the Internet
  • Shared device is used by family members
  • Office and work related tasks
  • Video or photography editing
  • Computer Specifications
    Acer Aspire VN7-791G-576X
    Intel Core i5-4210H
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
    Kingston 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 PC3-12800 RAM
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB
    Seagate HDD ST1000LM014-1EJ164 1TB
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 20
    Verified
    Took a break from Kaspersky for the new year. Had already an active license for Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
    Surprised how much faster my laptop is going from Kaspersky (almost at default settings) to Emsisoft (almost at default settings).
    When eventually returning to Kaspersky I will tweak it for performance according to the post of @Evjl's Rain :
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/kas...december-2018-report.88397/page-3#post-787210
    Removed Windows Defender Browser Protection extension. So I have now only 4 extensions in Google Chrome: uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin Extra, Emsisoft Browser Security and LastPass.

Lightning_Brian

Level 13
    Verified
    Content Creator
    Great configuration there @Gandalf_The_Grey !

Have you looked into using Macrium Reflect free and viBoot (also free) together by any chance? I would highly recommend it. Read more here about Macrium Reflect Free: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free viBoot: Macrium Software | Macrium viBoot

You could virtualize your images from Macrium Reflect free in viBoot. From there you could try stuff out as if you were working on your actual PC without changing up the actual image backup. It is very nice and nifty!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 20
    Verified
    Great configuration there @Gandalf_The_Grey !

Have you looked into using Macrium Reflect free and viBoot (also free) together by any chance? I would highly recommend it. Read more here about Macrium Reflect Free: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free viBoot: Macrium Software | Macrium viBoot

You could virtualize your images from Macrium Reflect free in viBoot. From there you could try stuff out as if you were working on your actual PC without changing up the actual image backup. It is very nice and nifty!
    No I haven't yet. Interesting stuff indeed (y) Thanks, I will have a look at that when I have more time to play with it. Bookmarked your links.

Moonhorse

Level 26
    Verified
    Content Creator
    Welcome to club, i love how detailed you have mentioned setup of Configuredefender & H_C

i will quote unofficially @oldschool and say andy has the best customer support. Nice config, cant suggest anything...just waiting for ''october 2019 update'' whatever it is called this time. for possible chromedge browser and WD changes

oldschool

Level 32
    Verified
    New config using mostly Windows own tools configured with Hard_Configurator.
    Inspired by and with many thanks to: @Andy Ful , @Windows_Security and @Evjl's Rain
    Still have to learn how to handle some blocks and warnings.
    Best to ask those questions in the main Hard_Configurator thread ?
    Update - Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator
    Yes, H_C thread is best place for questions. BTW: you copied my config! :LOL: except for VoodooShield. Nice setup! (y)

Edit: Whitelisting is easy by process or hash. My main gripe is CFA. Exclusions are possible but don't always seem to work. I'm on the fence with enabling it or not.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 20
    Verified
    Welcome to club, i love how detailed you have mentioned setup of Configuredefender & H_C

i will quote unofficially @oldschool and say andy has the best customer support. Nice config, cant suggest anything...just waiting for ''october 2019 update'' whatever it is called this time. for possible chromedge browser and WD changes
    Thank you and a nice club it is (y)
    I'm also looking forward to chromedge. Hope it's good and I can ditch Google chrome.