User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure Safe) 17.7 and VoodooShield 5.52 beta
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Removed Internet Explorer 11.
Ziggo Safe Online switched off Banking protection.
VoodooShield enabled WhitelistCloud and added the new Edge to web apps
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro and AdwCleaner (for the kids)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge Dev with uBlock Origin, F-Secure Browsing Protection, Netcraft Extension, Certificate Info and Bitwarden.
Maintenance tools
O&O ShutUp10, Patch My PC, Autoruns, Bandizip, Driver Easy Pro, CCleaner Pro and Disk Cleanup
File and Photo backup
OneDrive, File History
System recovery
Windows system image
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Acer Aspire VN7-791G-576X
Intel Core i5-4210H
Intel HD Graphics 4600 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
Kingston 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 PC3-12800 RAM
Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB
Seagate HDD ST1000LM014-1EJ164 1TB
Realtek High Definition Audio

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware because I'm using their extensions already, have an active license and have great respect for the company and their employees. Kept Window Defender for periodic scanning and Hard_Configurator.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware because I'm using their extensions already, have an active license and have great respect for the company and their employees. Kept Window Defender for periodic scanning and Hard_Configurator.
Emsisoft is one of my favorite AVs, too.:giggle:
The staff is very helpful and kind.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm thinking of changing AV again.
This time it's going to be Ziggo Safe Online 17.4 (= F-Secure).
Free for me from my ISP and better with malicious and phishing urls.

For myself I will combine it with Hard Configurator from @Andy Ful .

For my kids and older relatives I'm thinking about combining Ziggo Safe Online with SysHardener from @NoVirusThanks
Will that be enough protection or do i also need to add something like OSArmor?

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I'm thinking of changing AV again.
This time it's going to be Ziggo Safe Online 17.4 (= F-Secure).
Free for me from my ISP and better with malicious and phishing urls.

For myself I will combine it with Hard Configurator from @Andy Ful .

For my kids and older relatives I'm thinking about combining Ziggo Safe Online with SysHardener from @NoVirusThanks
Will that be enough protection or do i also need to add something like OSArmor?
Do your kids use Admin account or SUA?

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I would opt for the same setup every where. With Hard Configurator Software Restriction Policies installed except for Administrators, all updates and (richt click admin) installs won't be blocked. I use this and fine tune it on my own PC, until zero problems (chrome update works etc) and then copy it to other PC's. I use SysHardener and Hard_Configurator together (because HC is not signed and I also set UAC to block elevation of unsigned). They both dont eat CPU cycles. On my Windows 7 Desktop I used Ziggo's F-secure version for a while, worked fine with both.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The children install games frequently, which like to install/update in the UserSpace. This requires more attention & work & skill from parents, when using H_C default deny-setup, because the parents have to install some games and applications. On the other side, this is also much safer, than using restricted default-allow setup. The best solution is using a gaming platform like Steam, because the games are installed/updated in one folder, that can be whitelisted.
'AV + SysHardener' is pretty good as a starting setup. If Gandalf_The_Grey will master H_C and will still like it, then he will know which setup will be the best for children. :giggle:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Thanks to @Windows_Security @Andy Ful and @shmu26 I have accepted the challenge and changed my security config for myself and my kids to Hard Configurator and Ziggo Safe online (= F-Secure Safe). :D
The updated AdGuard browser extension is helped by I don't care about cookies and Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 DNS.
Please let me know, if you will encounter difficulties.:giggle:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Removed Ziggo Safe Online because it's banking protection locked me out of a banking site.
Back to Emsisoft Anti-Malware and thinking about, but not sure just going for Windows Defender.
Finally removed CCleaner due to lost trust since Avast took over:
CCleaner Free update introduces Tools menu Popup annoyance - gHacks Tech News
Added PrivaZer Donors version and Autoruns to compensate the loss of CCleaner.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Removed Hard Configurator: too much trouble for me when updating, installing and removing software on 3 laptops.
Kept it on the systems of my mother and mother in law because they have a more static config.
Removed the AdGuard extension because uBlock Origin simply does a better job.
Removed PrivaZer because it's just too slow.
Added back CCleaner Pro 5.56.003 Beta, because it's simply the best progran for me.
The last 2 stable versions have a problem cleaning Google Chrome cookies (known issue on some systems).
Solved in the latest beta build.

So my config is now Kaspersky Security Cloud Free with NoVirusThanks OSArmor and as adblocker uBlock Origin.

Also trying out the new Microsoft Edge version 74.1.96.24 (Official build) dev (64-bit).
Liking it a lot. Faster than Google Chrome stable version 73.0.3683.103.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

PrivaZer is a comparative snail. It does use Windows modules like Disk Cleanup, I wonder if that's partly the reason.
I always read your configurations, they're so neat and clean. :cool:

privazer.png

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Removed Hard Configurator: too much trouble for me when updating, installing and removing software on 3 laptops.
Kept it on the systems of my mother and mother in law because they have a more static config.
Removed the AdGuard extension because uBlock Origin simply does a better job.
Added back CCleaner Pro 5.56.003 Beta, because it's simply the best progran for me.
The last 2 stable versions have a problem cleaning Google Chrome cookies (known issue on some systems).
Solved in the latest beta build.

So my config is now Kaspersky Security Cloud Free with NoVirusThanks OSArmor and as adblocker uBlock Origin.

Also trying out the new Microsoft Edge version 74.1.96.24 (Official build) dev (64-bit).
Liking it a lot. Faster than Google Chrome stable version 73.0.3683.103.
Agree with you for Ccleaner (y)(y)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
PrivaZer is a comparative snail. It does use Windows modules like Disk Cleanup, I wonder if that's partly the reason.
I always read your configurations, they're so neat and clean. :cool:

First scan of privazer is slow indeed, but after that its much faster....i usually just run privazer once a week before going bed...it takes around 5-10 minutes and shut downs pc automatically after

If the browser cleanup is only reason to run privazer, there is the browser clean up wich takes as long as ccleaner default scan

With privazer its just much harder to recover deleted items, so i wouldnt run it daily..set up weekly clean up or something...with ccleaner i always ended up cleaning before i shut down pc

Reactions: plat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.