Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Emsisoft is not working? Hmm we got nearly the same Software and also the same OS-Version. Did you use Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Internet Security? as free av you could also try Panda Free.
AV-Test - latest test // Panda Free Antivirus product page
I have a licence for Emsisoft Anti-Malware. I think Emsisoft has a problem with Google Chrome's AppContainer Lockdown (tip of @Umbra at Wilders) All extensions were crashing. Maybe I could try again with all flags removed from Google Chrome.
Thanks for the suggestion of Panda Free. The problem that I have with Panda Free is the security toolbar you have to install for web protection changes your search providers even if uninstalled afterwards to keep the web protection.

Reactions: Logethica

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Okay thanks to @FrankS I reinstalled Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

I had to change some settings to keep it running optimal with my laptop:
In Google Chrome I had to remove the "AppContainer Lockdown" flag otherwise it crashed.
I had to disable Windows defender from start-up in the task manager.
To keep the speedy start-up of my laptop I had to disable "Protect the computer even if no user is logged on" under Protection File Guard.

Settings I changed myself (no impact on the performance of my laptop):
Settings Privacy: unticked "Submit crash and usage reports"
Settings Notifications: unticked all except: "Computer restart notifications"
Protection Surf Protection set Privacy risks to" Block silently "
Protection File Guard: set PUP detections to "Quarantine with notification"

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Okay thanks to @FrankS I reinstalled Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

I had to change some settings to keep it running optimal with my laptop:
In Google Chrome I had to remove the "AppContainer Lockdown" flag otherwise it crashed.
I had to disable Windows defender from start-up in the task manager.
To keep the speedy start-up of my laptop I had to disable "Protect the computer even if no user is logged on" under Protection File Guard.

Settings I changed myself (no impact on the performance of my laptop):
Settings Privacy: unticked "Submit crash and usage reports"
Settings Notifications: unticked all except: "Computer restart notifications"
Protection Surf Protection set Privacy risks to" Block silently "
Protection File Guard: set PUP detections to "Quarantine with notification"

Ah okay. The only software which I'm not using: Google Chrome :D
I have disabled Windows Defender with O&O Shutup10 after I have installed Windows 10.
Did you try to add chrome.exe to Whitelist at File Guard?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Ah okay. The only software which I'm not using: Google Chrome :D
I have disabled Windows Defender with O&O Shutup10 after I have installed Windows 10.
Did you try to add chrome.exe to Whitelist at File Guard?
No I didn't want to add chrome.exe to the whitelist because I don't know exactly what that will do and if that lowers the protection.
I have read on the Emsisoft forum that it is a known issue and that developers are working on it.
So now that everything is working fine I will keep it like this.
Do you have any remarks on the settings I have changed or advice on other changes?

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
For a better performance I have disabled the quarantine re-scan (Settings -> General). What about "Activate memory usage optimization"? Did you turned it off or on? By default it was disabled after installation on me. You could try it, but on some systems it will trigger some performance issues. The rest of your settings are looking good.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks , "Activate memory usage optimization" is off (by default). I will test and see if it makes a differences on my system. Also for the re-scan quarantine setting.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
For a better performance I have disabled the quarantine re-scan (Settings -> General). What about "Activate memory usage optimization"? Did you turned it off or on? By default it was disabled after installation on me. You could try it, but on some systems it will trigger some performance issues. The rest of your settings are looking good.
On my laptop with 16GB internal memory "Activate memory usage optimization" didn't make a difference. However on the laptops of my kids with only 4GB of memory ticking it did make a difference and it was ticked by default. Another setting I changed was in settings updates turn off "Don't run automatic updates in Game Mode" because I noticed that on the laptop of my daughter there were no updates done for the 7 hours she played games full screen.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
After I got blue screens with Norton Security (still not completely compatible with the anniversary update) I had to change AV's once again...
So Norton and Emsisoft don't work on my laptop. I'm back to the free AV's.
For the moment I'm using Bitdefender Free Beta.
It runs great on my laptop, but I'm not completely sure of it's level of protection...
Any suggestions for a clean (not bloated) free AV with good protection that I could use together with VoodooShield (running in smart mode) ?
Avira will give you good, basic sig-based protection. Not much in the BB department, though, for good or for bad...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
No not yet, but the developer (Dan) knows where there problem comes from and is thinking about the best way to solve it.
See for example his reply to me on Wilders: VoodooShield ?
sounds good, maybe do a favor for all the voodoo fans over here at MT and put up a thread when the problem is triumphantly solved...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.