Automatic - allow all types of updates
Windows UAC
Default - notify when programs attempt to make changes
Network firewall
ISP-issued router w/ firewall & filtering
Real-time protection
McAfee Internet Security + Voodooshield Pro + Adguard Premium
Software firewall
Provided by a third-party security vendor. Refer to 'Real-time protection' for details.
Custom RTP, Firewall and OS settings
None
Malware research
No - malware samples are not downloaded
Periodic scanners
McAfee scheduled scan.
DNS
OpenDNS
VPN
IPVanish (on occasion)
Password manager
McAfee True Key Premium
Browsers, Search and Addons
MS Edge = Aguard Assistant, McAfee WebAdvisor, McAfee True Key
Google Chrome = Adguard Assistant, McAfee WebAdvisor
PC maintenance
Privazer
Personal Files & Photos backup
External storage
Personal backup routine
Manual (maintained by self)
Device recovery & backup
Macrium reflect image
Device backup routine
Manual (maintained by self)
PC activity
  1. Browsing the Web
  2. Checking emails
  3. Shopping
  4. Financial
  5. Working from home
  6. Collaboration
  7. Remote access
  8. Video games
  9. Shared device
Personal changelog
Uninstalled McAffe Internet Security.
Re-installed McAfee Internet Security.
Uninstalled Bitwarden / installed McAfee True Key.
Feedback Response

General feedback

Gangelo

Level 4
Verified
Jul 29, 2017
@silversurfer & @Gandalf_The_Grey

Guys, I understand both your suggestions but I respectfully disagree.

I do not believe in UAC as a security tool. I would argue that if you set it to max it would be pointless as anything trying to run on the machine (malicious or not) would create a prompt which after a while would be tiresome and will be ignored. And honestly, who needs UAC when Voodooshield is installed? For all I know, I could disable UAC all together..

2nd opinion scanners come from an era when AV was only signature based. If you have an AV from a reputable company, why would I think it's scanning is not enough and needs to be double-checked with another solution? Just let your security software do it's job with real time & periodic scans and go on with life.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Well, there were the 'Explore additional free features" pop-up, the constant notification when McAfee speeds up a program launch, etc.
I am skeptical of disabling all pop-ups because I do not want to miss anything security related.
You can control individual alerts by going to General Settings -> Alerts. Important events will still trigger notifications.

Gangelo

Level 4
Verified
Jul 29, 2017
You can control individual alerts by going to General Settings -> Alerts. Important events will still trigger notifications.
Actually, it is not that clear which alerts can be disabled through the settings.

I already had the 'informational alerts' off when I was seeing the pop-ups. There is no granular choice of alerts in the settings.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

On some systems, there are 5-6 categories under the alert settings... another inconsistency from McAfee. Also, the notification about boosted apps doesn't appear on all systems, it doesn't appear on mine now but I've seen it on others... thanks for the screenshots anyway.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Could be a difference between McAfee Internet Security and Total Security (if you have the latter installed).
I have LiveSafe, but it behaves differently on different devices. It looks like they are testing some features to extract telemetry. Either way, the notification about boosted apps is a UWP notification, you should be able to turn it off from here:

1613887138646.png

You can find McAfee and turn it off, rest of the notifications are not UWP, they will still be displayed.

Gangelo

Level 4
Verified
Jul 29, 2017
I have LiveSafe, but it behaves differently on different devices. It looks like they are testing some features to extract telemetry. Either way, the notification about boosted apps is a UWP notification, you should be able to turn it off from here:

View attachment 254398

You can find McAfee and turn it off, rest of the notifications are not UWP, they will still be displayed.
Thank you, I will check it out.