• Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Working from home
    • Requesting and accepting remote access
    • Gaming
Notable changes
Uninstalled McAffe Internet Security.
Re-installed McAfee Internet Security.
Uninstalled Bitwarden / installed McAfee True Key.
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
@silversurfer & @Gandalf_The_Grey

Guys, I understand both your suggestions but I respectfully disagree.

I do not believe in UAC as a security tool. I would argue that if you set it to max it would be pointless as anything trying to run on the machine (malicious or not) would create a prompt which after a while would be tiresome and will be ignored. And honestly, who needs UAC when Voodooshield is installed? For all I know, I could disable UAC all together..

2nd opinion scanners come from an era when AV was only signature based. If you have an AV from a reputable company, why would I think it's scanning is not enough and needs to be double-checked with another solution? Just let your security software do it's job with real time & periodic scans and go on with life.

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
You can turn off all McAfee pop-ups if you go to general settings. Not sure what pop-ups you are seeing.
Well, there were the 'Explore additional free features" pop-up, the constant notification when McAfee speeds up a program launch, etc.
I am skeptical of disabling all pop-ups because I do not want to miss anything security related.

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
You can control individual alerts by going to General Settings -> Alerts. Important events will still trigger notifications.
Actually, it is not that clear which alerts can be disabled through the settings.

I already had the 'informational alerts' off when I was seeing the pop-ups. There is no granular choice of alerts in the settings.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

On some systems, there are 5-6 categories under the alert settings... another inconsistency from McAfee. Also, the notification about boosted apps doesn't appear on all systems, it doesn't appear on mine now but I've seen it on others... thanks for the screenshots anyway.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Could be a difference between McAfee Internet Security and Total Security (if you have the latter installed).
I have LiveSafe, but it behaves differently on different devices. It looks like they are testing some features to extract telemetry. Either way, the notification about boosted apps is a UWP notification, you should be able to turn it off from here:

1613887138646.png

You can find McAfee and turn it off, rest of the notifications are not UWP, they will still be displayed.

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
I have LiveSafe, but it behaves differently on different devices. It looks like they are testing some features to extract telemetry. Either way, the notification about boosted apps is a UWP notification, you should be able to turn it off from here:

View attachment 254398

You can find McAfee and turn it off, rest of the notifications are not UWP, they will still be displayed.
Thank you, I will check it out.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.