enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Smartwatch and wearables maker Garmin has shut down several of its services today to deal with a ransomware attack that has encrypted its internal network and some production systems.
The company is currently planning a multi-day maintenance window to deal with the attack's aftermath, which includes shutting down its official website, the Garmin Connect user data-syncing service, and even some production lines in Asia.
In messages shared on its website and Twitter, Garmin said the same outage also impacted its call centers, leaving the company in the situation of being unable to answer calls, emails, and online chats sent by users.
The incident didn't go unnoticed today and has caused lots of headaches for the company's customers, most of which rely on the Garmin Connect service to sync data about runs and bike rides to Garmin's servers, all of which have been down today.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
This truly makes me sick to my stomach, Garmin is right up the street from me and I know people who work there. Ransomware will continue to thrive until we decide that filters are simply not enough, and I believe we are close to that point. BTW, they are a 3.8B company, they make tons of stuff and are much larger than anyone would imagine.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The American GPS and fitness-tracker company Garmin is dealing with the aftermath of a ransomware attack, the BBC has confirmed. Owners of its products had been unable to use its services since Thursday.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Latest article from Bleeping Computer. What caught my eye: there are now ransomware negotiation companies--not certain whether Garmin utilized such a firm. Another cottage industry,? 🤨 Well, they can stand to make hefty commissions on these kinds of dirty transactions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.