Gayan's Security setup - How to protect my PC?

Gayan

Thread author
Apr 23, 2021
Hello guys,

I am not sure if I posted my question to the right place

I was wondering if someone can help me with my question?

I want to protect my PC from threats, such as viruses, Trojans, Hackers, and etc's. So I was wondering
the best software recommendation I can have installed on my PC for my PC'S best protection?

Kind Regards
Gayan

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The most important to steps to keep your PC virus free are to keep Windows and vulnerable software updated, never ever open email attachments unless you know the sender and never download and open anything unless you are sure what you are downloading. Just by doing that you will significantly minimise the risk of getting infected. If on the other hand you open random files, you will get infected sooner or later, no matter what security software you use.

In addition to that, install a good antivirus and an ad blocker. Kaspersky, which @HarborFront recommended is one of the best antiviruses and even the free version provides excellent protection. But Microsoft's own antivirus Microsoft Defender which is included with Windows 10, is also very good, so it's fine to stick with that if you want. It's much more important to practice safe computing habits than obsess about having the absolute best protection.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
What are you using right now?
You can post your current Computer Security Configuration here: Computer Security Configuration and get more feedback how to improve it.
The posts from @Digmor Crusher and @roger_m sum it up nicely:
Antivirus, Adblocker, backup, keeping your software up to date and safe computer habits is all you need (y)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I want to protect my PC from threats, such as viruses, Trojans, Hackers, and etc's.
Welcome to the club. :)
So I was wondering
the best software recommendation I can have installed on my PC for my PC'S best protection?
I see a lot of "best" in there. The problem is that the best protection does not necessarily have to be the best choice for you.
The best free option would probably be Kaspersky and Comodo Firewall with HIPS, but you would soon end up in a mental institution.
For the record I use Panda Free, because it is the best for me, zero performance impact and no notifications, but the protection is mediocre.

To add to the previous replies, definitely add a secure DNS like Quad9, it blocks malware links and connections to C&C servers which malware uses.
Browser and email client are the most vulnerable so make sure they are updated, some choices are better than others, since some take weeks to update.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Welcome to the club. :)

I see a lot of "best" in there. The problem is that the best protection does not necessarily have to be the best choice for you.
The best free option would probably be Kaspersky and Comodo Firewall with HIPS, but you would soon end up in a mental institution.
For the record I use Panda Free, because it is the best for me, zero performance impact and no notifications, but the protection is mediocre.

To add to the previous replies, definitely add a secure DNS like Quad9, it blocks malware links and connections to C&C servers which malware uses.
Browser and email client are the most vulnerable so make sure they are updated, some choices are better than others, since some take weeks to update.
Can Quad9 be trusted? I don't trust Cloudflare free privacy dns 1.1.1.1 thing so I don't know about Quad9. Both are free so they must be a hidden catch.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Can Quad9 be trusted? I don't trust Cloudflare free privacy dns 1.1.1.1 thing so I don't know about Quad9. Both are free so they must be a hidden catch.
I was/am still asking that question too, since Quad9 is possibly government controlled?!
It says "No logging" and "Funded and recommended by law enforcement", that is oxymoron.
But then again, there are laws and rules it has to follow, so it is not like an open book, hopefully.
But it is currently the best DNS malware blocking out there. I miss cleanbrowsing though. :cry:
Founding members:
United States Secret Service
City of London Police
France Ministry of Justice: Division of Criminal Affairs & Pardon
France National Police
Manhattan District Attorney’s Office

Vincent Valentine

Level 2
Verified
Feb 8, 2018
Anti-virus : For all in one protection Kaspersky or Bitdefender
AdBlocker : AdGuard Windows is the best system wide adblocker but if u want browser based adblocker only then uBlock Origin
Browser : Mozilla Firefox is trusted and secure web browser
DNS : Quad9, AdGuard or NextDNS
VPN is optional, but needed for good security configuration my personal favorites are ExpressVPN, NordVPN, Mullvad, IPVanish, Surfshark & WindScribe
Most importantly avoid Fourteen Eyes based VPN company
Make sure your windows, driver and installed software are up to date.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm not a fan of those all-in-one protection suites.
They are very good but probably overkill for normal users.
A free AV can suffice as well and you don't have to worry about expired licenses.
While AdGuard is the best systemwide blocker, but they perform a man in the middle attack by using their own root certificate to be able to filter https connections.
This in theory lowers your protection, so I prefer just an adblocking extension like AdGuard, uBlock origin or Adblock Plus.
The most secure browser is Google Chrome followed by Brave and Edge because of the chromium sandbox and frequent and timely security updates.
The mentioned DNSs are very good, but it will depend on the user's location if they are as fast or faster than their own ISP's DNS.
VPN is indeed optional and IMO not really needed for a good security configuration.
I think the best config is simple but effective, don't overdo it and complicate things needlessly.

Gayan

Thread author
Apr 23, 2021
You can post your current Computer Security Configuration here: Computer Security Configuration and get more feedback how to improve it.
Antivirus, Adblocker, backup, keeping your software up to date and safe computer habits is all you need (y)

Hello,

The software I am using at the moment is Malware-bytes free version, UBlock Origin for Chrome,

Cheers

Gayan

Thread author
Apr 23, 2021
Anti-virus : For all in one protection Kaspersky or Bitdefender
AdBlocker : AdGuard Windows is the best system wide adblocker but if u want browser based adblocker only then uBlock Origin
Browser : Mozilla Firefox is trusted and secure web browser
DNS : Quad9, AdGuard or NextDNS
VPN is optional, but needed for good security configuration my personal favorites are ExpressVPN, NordVPN, Mullvad, IPVanish, Surfshark & WindScribe
Most importantly avoid Fourteen Eyes based VPN company
Make sure your windows, driver and installed software are up to date.

Thanks for your recommendation Vincent Valentine, I really appreciate it

Cheers

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I consider it sort of as VPN with filtering. It is like using 3rd party service to control 3rd party DNS. Too many parties involved for my taste. :cautious:
NextDNS isn't a VPN but DNS service like Quad9, Cloudflare. All these are third-party services.

Reactions: Venustus

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Install a trusted anti-virus(run a scan like every month), don't download anything from shady websites, don't download "cracks", check for programs that you don't even know when you got it on your pc, and add a trusted anti track, or a vpn if you want, finally don't give out ur password or anything like that. For hard ware just keep your pc cool, and don't let any water inside it.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Install a trusted anti-virus(run a scan like every month), don't download anything from shady websites, don't download "cracks", check for programs that you don't even know when you got it on your pc, and add a trusted anti track, or a vpn if you want, finally don't give out ur password or anything like that. For hard ware just keep your pc cool, and don't let any water inside it.
And update software and OS regularly.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hello,

The software I am using at the moment is Malware-bytes free version, UBlock Origin for Chrome,

Cheers
uBlock Origin and Google Chrome are good.
Malware-bytes free version is not running in real time, what is your current antivirus program?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello guys,

I am not sure if I posted my question to the right place

I was wondering if someone can help me with my question?

I want to protect my PC from threats, such as viruses, Trojans, Hackers, and etc's. So I was wondering

Kind Regards
Gayan
Hello @Gayan

I have moved this thread to the Computer Security Configuration forum.

Please use the Edit Thread button (or click here) as seen below, explaining your current set-up, and receive recommendations based on what you are looking for. Then hit the save button.

1619341432992.png

@harlan4096 will provide a rating for your PC security after you have completed.

For security, I recommend for using Windows that you have the following:
  • Antivirus software
  • A modern browser with auto-updates
  • A content blocker such as uBlock Origin or Adguard Ad-blocker
  • A cloud backup for your documents and photos.
  • A local backup for the above, and a copy of Windows ISO on USB for emergency.
If you are not a confident web user, or scared of links, a dedicated malware site blocker extension such as Malwarebytes Browser Guard may be helpful.
If you are experienced with encryption software, you can use that for your personal files.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.