Geo-localization / GPS data to suggest new friends ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DardiM

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Does Facebook use your phone’s location to suggest new friends ?
According to a spokesperson of the social network, Yes. But according to a disclaimer after the controversy, it was only a test.

Once again, Facebook stirs controversy for his still more intrusive use of personal data of its members. Except that it's a little more complicated. According to the Fusion website, social network may suggest as 'new friends' people who have shared the same GPS position as you. The information have even been confirmed by a spokesperson for Facebook, casting a chill over the protection of privacy.

As long as Facebook keeps secret its "recommendation from friends" algorithm, we can only make suppositions.

Before the controversy, Facebook has made back in a statement to the Fusion website : "We don't use location data, such as the location of your device, or location information that you add to your profile, to suggest people you may know." In fact, the social network has well used suggestions Geo-localization, but during a test of one month in 2015...
Not enough conclusive ?

Meanwhile, when authorizing the Facebook application to localize us on mobile, the site warns that it can use these data, among other things, to "find friends." Then ?

:rolleyes:

Or maybe it's for their tool "Facebook Nearby Friends"...

You can prevent it by turning off Facebook’s access to your location. It’s in your phone’s privacy settings.

Personally, I choose to boycott Facebook (for years, and for several reasons)...
And I still have friends :p

As the website link to the news from Fusion was remove from my post here, I paste their article :

Facebook is using your phone’s location to suggest new friends—which could be a privacy disaster

Update (June 28): After twice confirming it used location to suggest new friends, Facebook now says it doesn’t currently use “location data, such as device location and location information you add to your profile, to suggest people you may know.” The company says it ran a brief test using location last year.

Facebook’s ability to discern with creepy accuracy the “people we may know” has surprised, delighted, and horrified its users for years. While the magic sauce behind friend suggestions has always been a bit mysterious, it now includes some potentially unsettling information. Thanks to tracking the location of users’ smartphones, the social network may suggest you friend people you’ve shared a GPS data point with, meaning your friend suggestions could include someone whose face you know, but whose name you didn’t until Facebook offered it up to you.

Last week, I met a man who suspected Facebook had tracked his location to figure out who he was meeting with. He was a dad who had recently attended a gathering for suicidal teens. The next morning, he told me, he opened Facebook to find that one of the anonymous parents at the gathering popped up as a “person you may know.”

The two parents hadn’t exchanged contact information (one way Facebook suggests friends is to look at your phone contacts). The only connection the two appeared to have was being in the same place at the same time, and thus their smartphones being in the same room. The man immediately checked the privacy settings on his phone and saw that Facebook “always” had access to his location. He immediately changed it to “never.” (He also did not want to reveal his identity for this story.)

It turns out his suspicions were correct.

“People You May Know are people on Facebook that you might know,” a Facebook spokesperson said. “We show you people based on mutual friends, work and education information, networks you’re part of, contacts you’ve imported and many other factors.”

One of those factors is smartphone location. A Facebook spokesperson said though that shared location alone would not result in a friend suggestion, saying that the two parents must have had something else in common, such as overlapping networks.

“Location information by itself doesn’t indicate that two people might be friends,” said the Facebook spokesperson. “That’s why location is only one of the factors we use to suggest people you may know.”

Facebook has gotten more aggressive in its use of smartphone location data in the last year, tracking which stores you go to in order to tell advertisers if their online ads worked and letting advertisers use your phone’s location to geotarget you with ads. But until now, most people didn’t realize that Facebook was also tracking their phone’s location to suggest friends to them.

The implications of this are far-reaching. There are situations in which this could be incredibly useful. It means you could finally become Facebook friends with “Karen” from yoga class. Or if you meet awesome new people at a party, but forget to exchange numbers, last names, or Snapchat handles, Facebook could make new friendships happen by surfacing those party-goers to you. Great! Those are best case scenarios.

But there are plenty of scenarios in which Facebook casually connecting you with people because your phones were in the same place at the same time could end disastrously. Imagine going to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, and then getting “Friend” suggestions the next day for members of the group along with their full names and profile information. Or getting hit on at the bar by a guy that gives you the creeps, giving him the cold shoulder and no information about yourself, but later getting a ‘Friend Request’ from him. Or visiting an abortion clinic and discovering that one of the abortion protestors outside was offered up your identity by Facebook.

Last year, Motherboard asked how Facebook was figuring out who people were going out on Tinder dates with. The report was ultimately inconclusive as experts said that data from Tinder doesn’t flow back to Facebook, but it may well have been location-based.

“Using location data this way is dangerous,” said Woodrow Hartzog, a law professor at Samford University, via email. “People need to keep their visits to places like doctor’s offices, rehab, and support centers discreet. Once Facebook users realize that the ‘People You May Know’ are the ‘People That Go To the Same Places You Do,’ this feature will inevitably start outing people’s intimate information without their knowledge.”

Most Facebook users who have the app on their phone with location access granted likely don’t realize this could happen. It’s not mentioned on Facebook’s help page about how “People You May Know” works.

“This is the kind of thing that people should be given explicit and multiple warnings about,” said Hartzog. “They should also be asked to affirmatively turn on the feature before their whereabouts are used to get them friends. Geolocation data is far more sensitive than most of the kinds of information people probably assume are used to suggest friends, such as alma mater and mutual friends.”

For now, if it’s troubling to you, the way you can prevent it is to turn off Facebook’s access to your location. It’s in your phone’s privacy settings

Last edited:

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
I thought Facebook was doing that for many years now. When I made a Facebook account years ago, it would suggest random foreigners as friends for the new account.

Reactions: DardiM and frogboy

DardiM

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I thought Facebook was doing that for many years now. When I made a Facebook account years ago, it would suggest random foreigners as friends for the new account.
Using your location when your register, for example the country, the city, it's one thing, but here I'am talking about Geo-localization from the device , mobile GPS for example. Facebook recently said that it was only a test, made in 2015, and that they doesn't use this method now to suggest news friends. But recently, a spokesperson of the social network said that Facebook use it.

Last edited:

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
Using your location when your register, for example the country, the city, it's one thing, but here I'am talking about Geo-localization from the device , mobile GPS for example.
It would be great if facebook made a switch to turn those suggestion on or off. I don't really think social media sites were made for privacy anyway.

Reactions: frogboy and DardiM

DardiM

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
It would be great if facebook made a switch to turn those suggestion on or off. I don't really think social media sites were made for privacy anyway.
I agree with you, that's why I choose not to use social media :)
(Edited my first post, I've forgotten to post the website :oops:)

Last edited:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Agreed DaridiM, Facebook has been in the trash for me, for quite sometime now.
Don't miss it even a little.
PeAcE

Reactions: frogboy and DardiM

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That is not impossible.

My Facebook Profile conduct suggest friends using location feature, besides of 'Mutual Friends' basis numerous times; and everything are accurate.

Privacy defeated but convenience is yes, remember that many people wanted to meet some people within discretion, because that is the only way to express their feelings or intention. ;)

DardiM

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
That is not impossible.

My Facebook Profile conduct suggest friends using location feature, besides of 'Mutual Friends' basis numerous times; and everything are accurate.

Privacy defeated but convenience is yes, remember that many people wanted to meet some people within discretion, because that is the only way to express their feelings or intention. ;)
Don't forget that some people doesn't want their privacy data known by some people even if they are localized around. For example, the people you've got problem with and that you really want to stay anonymous from... And have had problems with a person in the same GPS location, doesn't mean you want him to be suggested to add you in friends (and have a chance to know who you are, etc...)
As the website news from Fusion was remove from my post, I Edited it and pasted their article. They talk about the pros and cons of Geo location from phone’s GPS / internet.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@DardiM: Well in some regions, privacy is indeed more important which why many people I've encountered before are not using social media anymore.

In other part, they want convenience. Although the topic here goes about Geo Localization then it should stretch out the main importance rather as a convenient feature.

Facebook and other social media platform are already gone too far on what to say privacy thing.

Reactions: DardiM

DardiM

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
@DardiM: Well in some regions, privacy is indeed more important which why many people I've encountered before are not using social media anymore.

In other part, they want convenience. Although the topic here goes about Geo Localization then it should stretch out the main importance rather as a convenient feature.

Facebook and other social media platform are already gone too far on what to say privacy thing.

Facebook and others companies should tell the truth to their users, I think. It would be a nice step forward :p

Reactions: jamescv7
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.