Get more out of your battery with Microsoft Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alkajak

Thread author

Stay productive longer (controlled lab tests)
Whether you’re browsing the web with multiple tabs open, reading email, or checking your social networks, Microsoft Edge is built to maximize the potential of your hardware to operate efficiently on daily activities, while using minimal resources when a page isn’t being used.

We connected a Surface Book to specialized power monitoring equipment and measured the actual power usage during typical browsing activities in Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. We then automated each browser to perform the same series of activities: opening websites, scrolling through articles, and watching videos, opening new tabs for each task. We used the same websites you spend your time on – Facebook, Google, YouTube, Amazon, Wikipedia and more.

browser-power-consumption-tests.png

Average power consumption in milliwatts for identical workloads in Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera (with battery saver mode enabled). Unless specified, all browser settings were left at their defaults.

For these browsing activities, our tests show Microsoft Edge is a more energy efficient browser on Windows 10, with up to 36%-53% more battery life to get what you need done —whether you’re studying at the library, researching dream vacation destinations, or checking in with your friends on social networks.

Users see these results (real-world measurements)
The results above aren’t just theoretical! To measure Windows efficiency and identify opportunities, we measure aggregated telemetry from millions of Windows 10 devices around the world. The billions of data points from these devices are consistent with the lab results, demonstrating that Microsoft Edge is more efficient in real-world, day-to-day use than the competition:

browser-power-consumption-telemetry.png

Average power consumption per browser based on billions of data points of aggregated telemetry.

These numbers are from actual Windows 10 use “in the wild,” not artificial tests or hypotheses. People using Microsoft Edge simply get more out of their battery every day.

The results speak for themselves: Microsoft Edge outlasts the rest, delivering 17%-70% more battery life than the competition.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Many factors alongside of the battery optimization.

1) Features
2) Simplicity
3) Reliability
4) Stability

Indeed Microsoft Edge brought good optimization out there followed by Chrome, but of course for other users it will not reflect since they prefer maximum performance.

Reactions: Jrs30

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Never really used Edge its just 'there' no use I have Vivaldi as my main browser and chrome as my second. Battery usage is interesting but I keep my device plugged in %90 of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.