Guide | How To Check for Password Leaks, Exposed Email Addresses and Domain Data [Get Notified on Security Breaches]

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Have I been Pwned? (HIBP)​

Go to Have I Been Pwned

I'm Troy Hunt, a Microsoft Regional Director and Most Valuable Professional awardee for Developer Security, blogger at troyhunt.com, international speaker on web security and the author of many top-rating security courses for web developers on Pluralsight.

I created Have I been pwned? as a free resource for anyone to quickly assess if they may have been put at risk due to an online account of theirs having been compromised or "pwned" in a data breach. I wanted to keep it dead simple to use and entirely free so that it could be of maximum benefit to the community.

PenTester.com​

Go to PenTester
Ryan Montgomery, rated the #1 data security expert by the industry's most popular platform.

Pentester has incorporated the tools, methods, techniques, and tactics into its all-in-one platform. As a result, companies of all sizes now have an easy to use solution in order to understand risks and how to mitigate them.

Add more

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
This service is actually pretty great, I've used it and have been notified twice now, one being just yesterday for the tumblr hack. There's not harm just setting up this update to have the bot look out for your email addresses in case any of them turn up in data dumps from breaches.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very good service and indeed accurate, my two primary emails are indeed pwned because I've created account on Tumblr and Malwarebytes before.

However that does not decrease my self-esteem in the security. ;) Cause until now mistakes from webmasters happened often in such rare situation.

Reactions: RXZ6Q and shmu26

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
Useful service. One of my emails from 8 years ago did get pwned on VK, the russian social media site. I'm not even russian and don't know why I signed up there. o_O

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Edit: Defunct

FREE Password Exposure Check @ verify.4iq.com

How to Use
We now have a portal (https://verify.4iq.com) where you can enter your email and receive truncated passwords sent back to that account.

We will also let you know if we did not find exposed passwords.

Please help us verify the data by hitting “reply” answering the four questions provided. Emailing us this information will help us verify and validate the data, and we can then publish statistics on these findings.

About
4iQ Monitors thousands of dark web sites, hacktivism forums, and black markets daily for stolen credentials, leaked personal information and confidential documents and alerts people and companies when information has been compromised.

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
source (bleepingcomputer.com): New Tools Make Checking for Leaked Passwords a Lot Easier

The work that Australian security researcher Troy Hunt has done with the Have I Been Pwned project is yielding useful tools that developers and webmasters can now use to make sure users stop using silly and easy to guess passwords.

Hunt has been collecting data exposed in data breaches for some time now. His Have I Been Pwned (HIBP) portal has been allowing users to safely check if their name, emails, or other details were included in a public data breach.

Pwned Passwords v2 launches
Hunt has recently revamped the Pwned Password service —announcing v2 a week ago— and now includes 501,636,842 compromised passwords. Just like in v1, this data is available via the Pwned Passwords online site, via an API, and as a downloadable archive, in case developers want to build locally-stored apps and services.

Yesterday, Hunt announced that his project got an official seal of approval from government entities. Hunt said he's in the process of assisting IT staffers from the UK and Australian governments with implementing the Pwned Passwords service for official government domains, so government employees can't use simple or leaked passwords to secure their accounts.

Below is a (probably incomplete) list of projects that have implemented the Pwned Passwords service. These tools can be used by both end users, but also other developers who want to add checks for compromised passwords in their apps or services. We hope that slowly but surely, apps and websites that check for weak or leaked passwords will become the norm, just like the recent NIST password guidelines require.

christophetd/firepwned - Checks Firefox saved passwords against known data leaks using the HIBP PP API
moviuro/pass-hibp - A Linux pass(1) extension that queries the HIBP PP API
kevlar1818/is_my_password_pwned - Bash script for HIBP PP API
sea-erkin/goPasswordCheck - Go library for the HIBP PP API
JoshHarmon/kAnonymity-Password-Checking-MyBB - MyBB plugin integrating the HIBP PP API
alzeih/pass-pwned - Linux Password-Store extension for the HIBP PP API
RawInfoSec/hibp-chk - A PHP function for implementing password checks the HIBP PP API
RandomAdversary/PwnedPasswords - Java library for the HIBP PP API
nistykcab/unpwnedpsswd-gen - Python script to generate unique passwords that have not yet been recorded in Pwned Passwords

Last edited:

boutthatlife

Level 1
Verified
Mar 15, 2019
a person finds out their online profile/email was hacked with this service. What is the next step beyond changing the password assuming that this was the reason for the leak? Contacting the breached company?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
My main email got breached multiple times on haveibeenpwned site, and the only two things I can do are change password and enable 2 factors auth. Other than that, I have to make a new email. My email also contain fake info so I don't think DeepWeb criminals can do any damage on me.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
These information are fundamental for all users. Latest big cyberattacks were aiming to steal credentials and accounts. Collection #1 attack contained not only email accounts but also social networks accounts, e-commerce accounts, banking credentials, etc. I recommend to use HaveIBeenPwned very often to check emails used for accounts, then use complex passwords (better long) with numbers, uppercase, lowercase characters and special characters (like &, %, #, *) and don't use the same password for more sites. Stolen data and credentials are sold in the dark web. Most popular online services nowadays offer 2 step verification login method, enable it to be more secure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.