Get Paid in Cryptocurrency Just for Exercising

P

plat1098

Thread author
Sweatcoin app makes exercise pay off – literally

There are plenty of fitness apps and activity trackers that can count your steps, but now there’s one that will actually pay you for the miles you log.

Sweatcoin, which is based in London, awards its users with digital currency — one “coin” for every 1,000 steps you walk or run while using the app. Save up enough coins and you can exchange them for real-life products and services, like workout gear or a yoga class. Coins can even be sent to friends or donated to buy items for charity.

“Sweatcoin really does function like money. Vendors are accepting it as payment. And I can send Sweatcoins to you. You can send Sweatcoins to me,” Oleg Fomenko, the co-founder of Sweatcoin, told CBS News.

Gus Ide has been using the app and says it’s a great motivator.

“For me, it’s just seeing, having visibility on how far you’ve gone. I’m always thinking, ‘OK, so I did this last week. How much am I doing this week?’” he said.

Sweatcoin is part of a growing trend in digital fitness apps that offer rewards the more you exercise. Apps called Bitwalking and Gympact also pay users in virtual currency, while Charity Miles turns steps into charitable donations for the cause of your choice.

The Sweatcoin app is free to download and has no ads. It is currently available on the App Store for iPhones; an Android version is expected to launch soon.......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your CPU can be harnessed, why not you? I saw this on the news and my "two cents"--I just don't KNOW, y'all. The charity angle sounded nice. Is it hitched to the larger cryptocurrency market? A passing and somewhat leery fad? What do you think?

D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
Where does the money come from? It can't come out of thin air, there's always a cache. If they tell you there is absolutely no cache, it means deep down there's the biggest cache of them all.

What's in it for them, if there's no advertisements? Crypto-currency mining using the hardware resources of your mobile phone? Ex-filtrating data which can then be sold on to third-parties? The money has to come from somewhere, it doesn't grow on tree's.

"When the product is free, it means you are the product"

Seems too good to be true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017

Well that just about answered all the questions, seems like a bit of a con to me, they get your data and you get virtually nothing unless you are like our friend @harlan4096 who trains and runs for marathons
sprinting-smiley-emoticon.gif

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.